Thread: Tango
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 06:52 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Derek, I downloaded Tang

Hi Derek,

I downloaded Tango of the Rose quite early yesterday morning. Since it was an accordion piece, I split the hands and tried it with a preset called an "Italian Accordion," whose source I don't recall. It had an engaging, pretty lush and romantic sound. Later in the day I downloaded the mp3 version, in which Mark restored the staccato which had got lost in transporting the arrangement between programs. This has a lighter, carefree quality. So I got two quite distinct performance sounds, both highly enjoyable, though I guess Mark's is more as you intended it.

Other than the piano, which my mother played, the accordion is one of the first instruments--perhaps the first--that I heard live. An acquaintance of my parents, some 60 years ago, played the instrument "by ear," as they used to say. I don't remember if it was at parties or church functions, but I can still see him taking it out of its case, warming up a bit, then playing quite a range of musical styles. I have, ever since, enjoyed the sound, and have thought about trying to write something for it.

I look forward to hearing other arrangements and your own compositions.

all best,
mgj