View Single Post
Old 06-16-2006, 12:34 PM
David Jacklin (dj)

Default Hi, Joerg and Bernard: If i

Hi, Joerg and Bernard:

If installed properly, your virtual midi ports should come up in the Midinotate Device Configuration dialogue box (Setup/Midi Devices/Configuration or qdc)-- you will have to reboot your system first, though. In my case, I have Maple Midi In: Port 1 through Port 4, then Maple Midi Out: Port 1 through Port 4 -- along with about 20 other midi ports real and virtual.

When you do see those, simply use the Setup/Midi Devices/Quick Setup to choose one of the virtual ports as your default, or use the Staff/Setup or Staff Controls at the left of each staff to select your virtual device for each channel.

Using SFZ as an example, because it has a stand-alone mode, simply pull down the MIDI menu and select your chosen virtual midi device. To load a Soundfont in SFZ, right-click in the blank beside the word file and you'll get a file-load dialogue box. In SAVIHost/VSTHost, use the Device/Midi menu to select your device, then load Soundfonts through the VSTi.

Remember that you load Soundfonts into the VST instrument that you've loaded into SAVIHost: SAVIHost is not an instrument, just a program that loads and runs (hosts) a VST instrument. As I say, SFZ doesn't need SAVIHost, there's an executable that comes with it.

SFZ is multi-channel, so you don't even have to worry about selecting the right midi channel: it will play whatever you send to it.

I don't know Synthfont at all, so I can't advise you there. Sherry Crann is the resident Synthfont expert. There's also a thread around here on Using Midinotate with 3rd Party Software that should help.

David