View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 06:57 PM
Senior User

Default Re: Boccherini - Sinfonia in C maj, G.523, 1799

Hi David

Quote:
Certainly a challenge you've given yourself -- transcribing an entire symphony.
Been at it since 2010. Several are posted in this forum. But the Boccherini is the largest and most modern.

Quote:
It's interesting to see the "chitarra" as an instrument in the orchestra. I think the gut-string guitar of the day would have a hard time being heard above the horns and brass.
Only horns in this sinfonia, but yeah, it's not a concerto, so I had questions about how to balance the levels. Here's a version on "authentic" instruments, coincidentally posted recently on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/r28FRXOuSg8

Quote:
I noted also that, at bar 50, the cello line goes from bass clef to tenor clef for three bars. Was that in the original?
Yep. And there's another c-clef used that's not in NC's menu, a soprano clef. There's a pointer to a pdf image of the manuscript at the bottom of my original post.

Quote:
I'm curious as to your feeling that 300 bars is "pushing the limits" of Composer. I have any number of long pieces (up to a half hour in length) and haven't noticed any particular problems associated with length. Have you?
Well, my 2004 XP box only has 2GB memory and a Pentium 4 processor, so that's part of the picture -- the two symptoms I've noticed are 1) slow update on the 300 bar movement when in full score, and 2) inability to export to pdf for even modest-sized scores (even on my 8GB Windows 10 box). Glad to hear you've had success in the half hour range -- encouraging.

By the way, I applaud your take (and accomplishment) on Twain's "Adam and Eve." Longtime Twain fan myself.

Walt
===