View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Time Value for Chord Symbols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry C View Post
Hi Ralph,
Would it be suitable to write the staff as a percussion staff, using one of the "other" notehead types? I've seen that used occasionally, though not as often as the slash-rhythm that you're referring to. The notes would need to have a velocity of 0.
Sherry
Hi Sherry and All,

I have been wrestling with this topic for a long time. Finally, something Sherry mentioned popped into my head, referring to "other" noteheads in a percussion staff. In the attached 8-measure sample, I am still using the piano staff instead of a percussion staff, but I have put quarter notes (note velocity = 1) where I want the slashes, and then shown four different noteheads (2 measures apiece) that I might use to instead of text slashes. I also tried the x notehead, but that really made the piano part look like a drum part, so I tried the other four.

For those of you who, in a performance situation, have ever read handwritten parts for piano, bass or guitar that had chord symbols with slashes under them to indicate how many beats a particular chord gets, would you please weigh in with your opinion on which substitute notehead you would think best (or least distracting) to replace slashes in this situation?

Note: One MAJOR benefit to using this approach is that measures containing this kind of notation do not get compressed when compressing measures of rest (qcmr command). Measures with text slashes and hidden rests look AWFUL when compressed.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Chords Only2.not (11.1 KB, 4 views)