View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Adrian Allan (adrianallan)

Default thank you for your support.

thank you for your support.

I'm in two minds about the comments in general - I think that there ARE problems with the production, BUT I did state at the outset that the recording was only a "demo", and as such should be treated as such.

On the other hand, people are right in saying that to get anywhere in music today you have to be a writer and producer, because nobody will take you seriously in such a competitive world. And this is of course also true.

My biggest issue was with the DEGREE of condemnation - as I said in the last post, "terrible" in music should wrong notes and distortion, etc, not just too much EQ on the piano.

Fortunately I'm very thick skinned.

I have enough self belief to know that at the end of the day the most important thing in music are the values that I have spent many years working on: harmonic interest, key change, extended chords, accented melodic dissonance, tension and release and above all a melody that is new, but somehow "sounds familiar".

And I know it sounds pretentious, but I didn't feel like I was writing the song, but chipping away a block of stone to reveal a sculpture that was already there - and if it the song "writes itself" like that I know that I've succeeded.

I think the software you have in mind may be "Miriam" which is a an older vocaloid for a soul-based female voice. The newer vocaloid is supposed to be technically better, but in truth no voice software is going to put singers out of a job for a few years yet.

There was a time when LP records were made in a day - but now people spend two hours just fixing a mic above a piano. Thankfully some people like you and me are not so technically obsessed that the the production ALWAYS comes before the music.

Thanks again

Adrian

Ps if you get the chance check out my other stuff on Youtube under my name - there's a guitar piece I wrote a few years ago.