View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Some questions about Composer.

Hi John,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post
I like the idea of being able to draw in MIDI controllers in line with the notation as shown in the product description. As I'm sure many will know, e.g. GPO, JABB, COMB use a lot of controllers to refine playback. XGworks lets me adjust just 3 at a time in either staff view or PRV, and only allows access to the most commonly used. A definite limitation since many Garritan libraries use some obscure CCs.
Composer lets you work on each cc by selecting to view it using the Graph Over Notes tab, and editing one at a time. Viewing multiple types at the same time is not yet supported.

Quote:
I work primarily from notation (usually the conductors score) and from time to time create files that may have as many as 40 instruments and therefore sequencer tracks. Is Composer able to support this many tracks and view them on screen (with scrolling up and down, of course)?
As long as you have enough memory (should not be a problem at all) and a large enough monitor, you should not have any problems as there is no "cap" on the number of staves you can have.

Quote:
To support this many tracks I use 3 or more MIDI ports with various MIDI channels, via different ports, going to different virtual instruments. How many simultaneously usable MIDI ports can Composer support?
No cap on the number you can use.

Quote:
I use an ageing EMU 1616m PCMCIA card with its excellent ASIO drivers for the audio.
As you probably already know, the only thing you'll want to be sure of is to switch off the GS Wavetable.

We do have a couple of video tutorials that you may be interested in on setting up Garritan Libraries and virtual MIDI cable (to communicate with them). You can find those in the Tutorial Videos section.

Please feel free to ask away if you have any further questions

ttfn,
Sherry