View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 06:52 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark and Sherry, I think

Hi Mark and Sherry,

I think that I have finished this. I have added a march-ish section, which like the little waltz in pseudo 3/4, I've made a pseudo 2/4. Then I've reprised the waltz, in a different "key" and up an octave, and finally recapitulated the beginning theme.

Of course there is phrasing, dynamics--both marks and sound--to do, and I become not utterly lazy every now and again. I am still tinkering with the idea of some alterations to tempo, but not much at any point. But the beginning could be somewhat slower, maybe, and the march faster, and the transition from the march back to the waltz slower. But who knows? I've already tried upping the tempos of the little waltz, and it did NOT work.

I think it might be interesting to see what I might come up with if I did a modified version for the pianist who is not a virtuoso or doesn't have time to practice one piece for hours.

Somewhere along the line, the idea of orchestration popped up, and from that point, I've thought of instrumentation as I wrote. Since I don't think I can whip up much enthusiasm for orchestrating a single short composition, perhaps the desire to do it will prod me to do some more with a suite of impressions of cats (at least the subject should be popular). However, it will be for piano first, and at least one other piece will employ the whole-tone system.

One think I haven't done with this piece until about a half hour ago is apply the acid test--that is, listen to it whole. After about six play-throughs, I'm finding that it mostly works for me. Of course I'm hearing in my head the work still to do with dynamics--the first theme is quite a bit quieter, for example, and those little tempo alterations. But hopefully it's not unpleasing.

all best,
mgj

<center><table border=1><tr><td>Tassle and Smudgie
Tassle and Smudgie 9-6-05.not (229.6 k)</td></tr></table></center>