Thread: Audacity
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Hi guys, A few quick notes

Hi guys,

A few quick notes here, then I have to run.

1. Be sure that your sound card selections within Windows is exactly what your Audacity drop-down source is. Vis a vis, when you click Start/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio (this is in XP), and then select your recording options, (eg. "What you hear" or "Midi synth"), be sure that you select the same item from the drop-down list in Audacity. That was the little item that threw me off the first time I tried a "mixed" recording.

2. Turn off everything that is running except Audacity and Composer when you try to record. Other programs, even just the printer in your tray at the bottom, can check to see if you've done something to "call" for them, and that can eat into your CPU and cause glitches. To do this, you can usually just right-click on the icon in the tray, and then click "Exit" for that program.

3. If you have the option, increase the buffer for your audio driver. I use the Asio4All driver, and I have my buffer size set at 512. This means that for midi devices (such as GPO) that use this driver, you need to set the buffer size to match. Higher buffer size means less drop-outs, but be careful as it can also affect latency, which can be an issue if you're using different sources at the same time (such as soundfonts and GPO together). You'll have to experiment with your setup to find your happy medium

ttfn,
Sherry