View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Imported Midi In Wrong Key With Wrong Note Timing?

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmeida_pt2001 View Post
My rational was: after getting a midi file from an instrument (.mid) and importing to notation file (.not) would give me a full graphical view with nothing else underneath.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "full graphical view with nothing else underneath." Can you please explain a little more what you mean here? (Maybe I'm just missing it because I haven't had my coffee yet )

Quote:
So when a note in exactly below another in the staff of the 2nd instrument (and suppose that both are "25 - Acoustic Guitar (nylon)" they should be absolutely synchronized, so sounding at the same time when playing the generated audio.
That, very often, doesn't happen.
I think I understand the issue here. Some MIDI files will have notes that Composer shows as beginning on the same beat, but don't sound exactly on the same beat. This is where the transcription (and you can change these options in Setup/Transcription options) from the MIDI to sheet music tries to make some allowance for performance differences and still give accurate sheet music.

One example is whether you want to transcribe the MIDI file quite precisely by not removing any rests. This shows all the details of a performance, including rests of very small duration. If you want a "cleaner" and simpler score, you can remove rests of varying duration. You can use Format/Retranscribe if you've already opened a file, but want to change any of these transcription options.

Another example is the performance versus notation of "swing" style pieces. To keep swing notation cleaner, certain performance aspects (eg. triplets) are assumed and so not included in the score.

For another example, a strummed guitar chord actually sounds as a very fast arpeggio. However, one would expect it show up on sheet music as a lined up chord group of notes. If you're using an audio-to-MIDI application to take an audio file to a MIDI file, this type of timing issue is typically pretty pronounced. I know because I've tried nearly all of them out

You can check to see if these notes in the original MIDI file are actually lined up perfectly or not by viewing the Piano Roll. The Piano Roll view shows you exactly what the underlying MIDI file looks like in terms of (1) attack (the beginning of each note) and the duration (the length of each note). When Composer transcribes a file into notation, it's trying to give you the best notational representation of the underlying MIDI performance, so that you can get readable sheet music.

If you want to hear all such notes together as they're notated, in Composer, you can do the following (without having to re-enter all the notes ):
1. Open your file in Composer.
2. Click on the "Piano roll" tab.
3. In the Piano Roll palette, click the "Edit as-performed" button (third from the left.)
4. In the Region menu, click "Select all".
5. Now in the Region menu, click "Convert region to selection of notes"
6. Now you can use one of the "Snap" buttons (the last three on the detail palette) to make all the notes "snap" to their (a) notated attack (where they start) (b) notated duration (length of the note value, eg. quarter note) or (c) both.
Does this address the issue that you're seeing? If not, please do attach a file so I can take a look at exactly what you're seeing and provide a little better analysis to the exact problem.

Thanks!
Sherry