Thread: Big Band Swing
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 07:34 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, I'd have to ad

Hi Fred,

I'd have to add Sky King, Captain Midnight, Jack Benny, and Fibber McGee and Molly, as the "thundering hoof-beats of the great horse Silver" echo over the plains....The worst thing about the loss of radio dramas is that it was kind of a bowflex for the imagination.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I thought about using the tuba, as well as another trombone, baritone or bass clarinet<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Did big bands have tubas? I can't remember and I haven't got out my tapes yet. If not, they should have. I'm pretty sure horns weren't staples of many bands, though I can think of a lot of songs where their tone color would have worked--A Nightengale Sang in Berkeley Square, We'll Meet Again...

Why not have 3 or 4 trombones--trumpets, too? And saxophones, while you're at it? At least in the midi version, you don't have to worry about finding the human counterparts.

I thought it could use a few 5ths and 7ths there also<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

It will be interesting to hear where you go with this. There are already some Ab/G and D/E, etc., combinations, which add very brassy coloration.

Ain't this stuff fun?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

<chuckle> If 4 bars in 2 days is fun, then "Hit Me Wit' It" must have been like rolling out the barrel. Good luck with the harmonica. Years ago, I had great fun with one and, occasionally, wish I knew where that thing was.

This stuff is, at the least, a lesson that frustration can be a part of fun--I am well into extensive revision of the ragtime movement of the symphony that I posted a week ago, thinking ah! finally it's done.

all best,
mgj