View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 08:16 PM

Default Ties Across Repeats, etc.

I've wrestled with this problem ever since I was introduced to Notation Composer. In the past, I've managed to finagle a workaround that while not ever pretty, at least conveys the purpose.

Whenever I have a tied note across a repeat or a D. S. or a Coda, I have to put a temporary note of the same pitch in the next sequential (not next logical) measure, fashion the tie, trying to keep a decent shape, by dragging the right end anchor (both ends for a D. S. or a Coda in the from and to measures) back as close to the bar line as possible. See the end of measure 9 in the attached snippet.

If you look at the snippet in full screen view, the ties in measure 9 look funny, but understandable. BUT, when you look at page view (as I do for printing), the ties look like someone scribbled on the score. Notice in both views that the right end of the manipulated tie is visible in measure 10 - more so in the page view.

So, has anyone out there come up with a "better way to do this"? It might be that this example is a problem because of where the notes fall on the staff.

I really need a "tie to nowhere" that starts at the last note in the measure and ends at the bar line (or conversely, starts at a bar line and ends at the first note).

Help!

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Let Me Be There.not (13.5 KB, 2 views)