Thread: Rock 'n' Roll
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hi Sherry, Sure glad to see y

Hi Sherry,
Sure glad to see you back, girl! I answered your post a couple hours ago, but for some reason it never got posted. I'm trying again.
Feel free to do anything and everything you like with the song. I've tried a bunch of sax solos but I haven't been happy with any of them. For some reason they all sound like a sax played on a keyboard. I keep forgetting you can only play one note at a time on the sax. Plus, I can't hum into the keyboard like I could with the mouthpiece to get that "growl". I did download Sythfont's alto sax font (he said it was good) but it sounds no better than what I have. The tenor, alto and soprano all sound the same. It would be great if you send me some sax files.
I do have Audacity, but I have no idea what to do with it. The only mixing I'm good at are recipes (I'm a killer in the kitchen).
I'm sure the song will sound a lot better with your vocal. I used to sing with my band, but the last time I uttered a sound was 1980. I left the rock tunes to the real vocalists and I did some standards. I did a real good job with "Volare" in Italian, though. I have access to a translation program and I am thinking of doing a few, believe it or not. I don't have a microphone. The only one I can afford is Radio Shack. I don't imagine a $15 mike would sound too good, though. I'd really like to do some Barry Manilow and Neil Diamond tunes just to goof off.
Maybe when we get it done, we can both put it on Soundclick. We'll put both names on it with your name as arranger and sequencer and vocalist. I have 3 songs on Soundclick now. (I have your site as a station on my site). I have been trying to add some rhythm and strings to the ballads, but like Mark says, there is so much rubato. I can't get it to synchronize unless I edit the teeth out of them. It gets better if I lay down the bass and drum parts first, but I don't do well with my own and it takes a ton of editing for parts that are already laid out. I did Ok adding brass to my jazz tune, but I am trying to add a trumpet solo and that is just as bad as my adding sax solos. Maybe I should look for some Ella Fitzgerald scat tunes and steal some of the riffs to make into instrumental solos.
Anyway, have fun with the song. It's as much yours as it is mine. Take care and don't try to do too much.

Fred,
http://www.soundclick.com/fredwinterling