View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Lawrence, Sherry, and Da

Hello Lawrence, Sherry, and David,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Sherry: can you give me some info how to clean all traces of Musician from my PC and start afresh? Are there any hidden files / registry entries which are not erased by uninstall?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>The only place that information about your MIDI devices is stored is in the MidiDev.cfg file, not any other files or registry entries.

Please help me understand what the Master Track is in this MIDI file. Is it the track #2 named "CONTROL" in a screenshot above? What's in the track? No notes? If no notes, then what's in the track? Is it responsible for assigning bank/programs to the other tracks?

There might be a problem that this "CONTROL" track is assigned to Auto channel. Try assigning it to a free fixed channel number.

Is this MIDI file format 0 (one track with multiple channels) or format 1 (one track per each separate channel)? If it is MIDI file format 0, then maybe Notation Musician is not correctly distributing bank and program changes to the tracks. If so, it seems like that bug would have been revealed many years ago. However, there's a way we can check whether Musician is goofing up with the MIDI file format 0 (if this is indeed a format 0 MIDI file). We can open the MIDI file format 0 in an independent MIDI maintenance utility app (several at http://www.synthzone.com/utilities.htm) and resave it as a file format 1, and read that into Musician. That might work-around the problem; and if it doesn't, that indicates that Notation isn't correctly handling some aspect of the MIDI file 0 format.

The above are my best guesses at this point as to how to further trouble-shoot and solve the problem. Uninstalling an re-installing Musician is unlikely to help with this particular problem.

Cheers
-- Mark