Thread: Piano Concerto
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 07:41 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, <chuckle>

Hi Mark,

<chuckle> I really didn't think it had the feel of a bug. That still leaves the question of why at times the piano on your system is inaudible.

I did try the first movement on another machine. It sounded disgusting, but that machine has only MS wavetable, or whatever its called, and that sounds disgusting on my machine, too. All pianos are honky tonk. But it was nowhere inaudible, except for the measures I mentioned previously, just after the cadenza. I need to raise the note velocity from 35 or so up to 40 or 45.

This paragraph was interesting:

"MidiNotate's Auto-channel feature allows you to assign more than 16
tracks with distinct sounds for a given MIDI device, as long as no
more than 16 are playing at a time."

I have discovered that it works ok to do an instrument change and assign the piccolo, if used not much, to the flute staff, or if on a different staff to the same channel as the flute. It also works to assign the tuba and trombone, at least as much as I've done it, to the same channel. Ditto the bassoon and contrabassoon, clarinet and bass clarinet, etc.

The question: is this the kind of channel assignment Composer makes on auto assign for all but channel 10? It strikes me that leaving channel assignment to the program would be easier.

An unrelated question, which I will seek out a better twig in the forum tree for if there's anything legitimate. I've had three crashes. I've also had the condition where I would enter notes, hear them, but nothing would show up. I tried entering a note on each staff, but saw none. Closed the program, restarted, opened the file and guess what I found on all those staves where I entered notes....

The question: I have auto error report set to on. Should it have functioned in either of these cases?

all best,
mgj