View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Ian Douglas Graham (iandgraham)

Default Dear Sherry Welcome to the

Dear Sherry

Welcome to the party !

OK, I've looked at 5.4.9.4, and tried a couple of sample bars. Yes, using that method I can (as I said this morning) enter swing rhythm by actually quantifying/articulating the rhythm; and then force it to display as swing eighths without losing the swung sound. The latter I didn't know, and learning it is a step forward.
But to repeat another point from earlier on, it's a h**l (sorry, forgot your language rule for a moment) of a kerfuffle. You're ('one' in English parlance!)for ever clicking for a different setting of one kind or another - entering as swing eighths involves much less change of that sort.
So I think the answer to my headline question you quoted at the start of your post is actually 'No', isn't it ?
I do think Composer is a bit out of line in not having a simple 'switch' for swing. Biab has one, and if I remember rightly Finale does (but I didn't like Finale for some other reason, and that's why I'm here !). (And clearly Composer actually has one deep inside - it understands the concept of swing eighths, even if it doesn't always identify them correctly.)

Moving on: I don't see what you're getting at with "if you don't touch the MIDI file in BIAB". If I don't 'touch' it, what's the point of taking it there ? I take it there because I want to do something(s) to it - the things Biab is 'for'.

Re transcription options and 'knobs' in Composer: until very recently I haven't used them much, and any changes I've made have been ad hoc, so the default settings have remained from one session to another. The issues I'm talking about (not2 etc) were certainly cropping up before I started looking at the transcription options. I started looking at the options because the mis-transcriptions were occurring - so they were happening under Composer's default settings.

Despite what you and Mark are saying (and Herbert to some extent), I'm not convinced that Composer is 100% consistent in its transcriptions. As I've pointed out, the 'mistranscribed' details - the sort of things that the Not2 picture illustrate - that I need to change by whatever means in order to use the score as score (as opposed to sound source) are always a minority of the score. You know in a jazz piece how the rhythm runs through - there are hundreds of 2-1 2-1 2-1 runs - why (in Composer) do most transcribe perfectly to swing eighths, but some come out like Not2?
Mark talked about 'tight' and 'loose'. I do think the 'transcription options' need to offer some sort of numerical setting one could tweak until these odd bars came into line.
Thanks for the head-up about the Note Duration screen. I'm not thrilled that it's part of the Piano Roll set-up - I would be far happier entering values into a dialogue. But still....The $64K question is: will those settings affect transcription? Could I select the bars in not2, go into the Note Duration process, presumably reduce values (to create more 'space' between notes) and see them separate out properly ? (Actually, I have tried without success, but maybe I wasn't doing it right ).

We're all trying hard, but I'm not sure we're getting very far. I think it'd be better if I spent less time writing on the forum, and more time making music, and then send you the actual files when problems come up.

Time for bed this side the pond.

Sincerely

Ian G.