View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 07:14 AM
Ian Douglas Graham (iandgraham)

Default Morning, Mark Here's a

Morning, Mark

Here's a quick sample.

I will hope to attach 3 small *.jpgs, each relating to the same or equivalent bars. (It looks from a first try as if I may have to do three posts to upload the pix?) The second and third ARE the same bars.

Not1
is from my initial version of a melody, created in Notation Composer, on the PC - i.e. direct entry. It is from the Notation Composer screen of the *.not file.

I then exported it to *.mid. Because I'm doing this retrospectively, I don't think I still have that file in its original form. On a future occasion, I would be able to preserve that.

Not2
is the same two bars as they came back from Biab within an arrangement, but the only change this line has had is that it has been 'swung.'
Again, this is from the Notation Composer screen of Notation Composer's unedited re-interpretation of a midi filed exported from Biab.

Noteworthy
is Noteworthy Composer's equivalent to Not2
i.e. this is from the Noteworthy Composer screen of Noteworthy Composer's unedited re-interpretation of the identical midi filed exported from Biab.

I include the Noteworthy comparison in an attempt to get a comparative view of what the midi files actually 'says'. I would guess from your comments last night that you may say it doesn't really amount to that - that ( a bit like quantum physics, which says that observing an event changes it) there is no way to see in staff notation exactly what a midi file 'says'.

In all practical respects Noteworthy cannot compete with Notation - the sound realisation is poor, and for all practical purposes it doesn't 'do' triplets, as you can see, to cite just two limitations.

For myself, as a pianist, Not1 is, by some margin, what I would prefer to see. What I would want to hear, if I were using the sound too, is what I would make of it at the piano, using the 'swing eighths' convention.

The Not2 bars are not typical of the whole part, by the way. The Notation Composer notation of most of the line in the file from which Not2 originates is mostly fine. But you can see that this 'hot-spot' really has to be improved somehow to make it use-able as score.
What I find hard to understand is why there is this wide variation of notation within the same file ? (Although it doesn't really matter if I 'understand', unless understanding gives the key to doing it better. )

BW

Ian G.