View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Ian Douglas Graham (iandgraham)

Default I had posted in reply to David

I had posted in reply to David, as Sherry knows, but I had simply 'replied' to the notification I'd received, which apparently doesn't work.

What I said was:
Hello, again, David. Yes, I think the 'rests' thing does have some impact. But there are also trade-offs - I tend to prefer to set the some value for the rests because if you see absolutely everything 'as performed' , you see way too much to read the score effectively. Also, what I'm trying to get round is often NOT the really finicky little pieces of micro-timing that live playing (or Biab simulation) often (inevitably) throws up. What I find is that in swing notation sometimes say a two beat sequence like: quaver rest/quaver/quaver/quaver gets transcribed as three crochets all clustered in the third of those beat-positions, when the sound and the highlighting of the current notes both show quite (sorry, hit the wrong key there and it suddenly got 'sent') clearly what the underlying 'registration' is. I'm talking here maybe once every 10 or 12 recurrences of that rhythm. I'm doing a lot of moving back and forth between Composer and Biab as I develop a piece, and it gets a bit of a bind having to 'tidy up' manually instance by instance at each re-import.

And Sherry, the incoherent message you replied to me privately from was a mislaunch in the course of writing what I've just pasted in.

I'll work through your advice on the primary issue before I respond any further on that.

On the use-ability of the Guide: I can only repeat that I'm not 'complaining' in a negative sense. And also it's hard to actually pin down quite what 'isn't working' - but certainly the 'frustration'
is not just a passing or single-issue thing. My thought in proposing what I did was that in terms of interpreting it to someone else, maybe the person who's created it is not the best person. S/he will think by means of his/her own familiarity with what s/he has created.
In the medium term, a redesign of the screen would help - with both the list of chapters, and the actual text of the selected one, you're trying to get way too much in a single screen, and I'm forever dragging the dividing line this way or that. But that is not the fundamental problem. I'm not, for the moment, volunteering to do a re-index :-). But I will try, when I need to look something up, just to jot down the terms I search on, and if I need to post an enquiry, I could include that info in the post. Maybe others could do the same.

Ian G.