View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy guys, David is correc

Howdy guys,

David is correct that checking the "Do not remove rests" in Setup/Transcription Options will put you quite close. But the option I think you're looking for is the "two-note chords" option at the bottom of the dialog. I see that this option is not included in the Format/Retranscribe dialog, and I'll write that up for a fix (task 2076). If you're recording from a MIDI keyboard into a new file, the Setup/Transcription options will be applied.

The Setup/Transcription Options dialog is shown below, with some "fields for consideration when asking for notated-as-performed" circled:

The great thing is that if you don't like how it looks the first time, you can use the Format/Retranscribe command and change the settings til you get what you like One of the reasons that so many options are offered is that quite often if you have a MIDI file with "feeling", that "feeling" part makes the notation quite difficult to read. Of course if you want to edit the file, seeing it plain and whole is helpful

Now, to drill down to some usability issues here, because Ian is obviously frustrated, and this assures me that others are frustrated as well (There's a rule of thumb that if one person voices frustration or points out a problem, there are at least 10 others who feel the same. Given our number of users, I'd say it's probably more like 100 at least.)

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I wonder if it might help if the index (or possibly the topic titles) were re-compiled by someone not involved in the actual design/programming of the software?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Thanks Ian - I love it when people volunteer for a job ;)

Seriously, we really have tried to think like musicians about terms used in the Users Guide, but we also know that it's not perfect What kinds of terms were you using to try and find the information you needed? We do take suggestions seriously, and have used them before to improve the Users Guide, so let me know. And that's not just for this topic, but for any that you're trying to find.

ttfn,
Sherry