View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 08:50 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, The right track, I

Hi Fred,

The right track, I think. It will be interesting to see (well, hear)what you do with it. Some things I would try out, if I had written the piece, are:

I'd try thinning out the strings to violins I and II. The reason is that unless I knew it was going to be played by an orchestra with 26 in the violin section, I'd be afraid of dilution. Unless there were really big differences between I and II, I think I'd try putting them on the same staff. Where you want the section split, as opposed to the whole section playing chords, you can use "div." When they are all playing, use "unis."

I'd try different instrumental combinations and pitches. For instance in the introductory bars, I might feature the harp, with sustained chords in the middle strings, or the clarinet, or flutes, or flute and harp. The introductory bars to the 3rd movement of the "Christmas" symphony I wrote a couple of years ago went through many different instrumental combinations, and next time I go back to it, I suspect the one I settled on won't satisfy me.

When I do experimenting, I find it easier to do a SaveAs, rather than changing the original, and give it a descriptive name, like "FileName meas 6-21 2 clnts added string octave changed." Eliminates a lot of re-changing and any changes I then want to keep can be copy/pasted.

I'd think about giving the piano, as the featured instrument, some solo work, like the sax gets in other pieces.

These are just what-I-would-do (actually do do) and not even suggestions. I guess the one suggestion I would have is that unless something seems finished today, and still seems finished in a few weeks, then thinking about it and trying out ideas that occur is good. But I like the piece and the track you're on is the one I'd stay on.

all best,
mgj