View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy, I heard my name [img

Howdy,

I heard my name

The range of a nylon string guitar in standard tuning is E2 to E5 (12th fret) and there are usually frets to at least A5 on a "classical" guitar - more on a "jazz" nylon strung. Of course then there are "alternate tunings" you can do, also, which can change the range of the instrument up or down, or both at the same time

A four string electric bass in standard tuning is E1 to G3(which is the 12th fret) or higher, depending on how many frets it has - G4 if it has 24 frets. However, there are also five-string basses (like mine) that have a lower B1 string, and "extended range" basses that go up way high. The most common extended range is a six-string, which goes from B1 up to C3 at the 12th fret of the top string, and usually up to C4 at the 24th fret.

I'm honestly not sure what the tuning of an upright double bass is. I think (though I'm not positive) it starts at C2, and goes up to somewhere a few notes over C5.

I had a page bookmarked at one point that had instrument ranges for a variety of musical instruments, but alas, I just tried to bring it up, and it appears that it no longer exists. There are probably others out there somewhere....

ttfn,
Sherry