Thread: Way Down Yonder
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 07:24 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, Your version of &#

Hi Fred,

Your version of "War and Peace" sounds like an interesting read ;) I sure wish you had those recordings of your group; love to hear it.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

We did a lot of Blood, Sweat and Tears, Chicago, Three Dog Night, The BeeGees, Four Freshmen, etc., including comedy stints.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Over the years following my discovery of so-called classical music, which was '52 or '53, I became very selective in pop favorites, but the Four Freshmen and Three Dog Night were two of the main ones, as well as quite a few others and all the folk groups, during whose heyday in the late sixties through the mid seventies I was in college, where every bar had a group (frequently a Kingston Trio sound- AND look-alike).

Maybe I figured out one reason for the "live" feel. I noticed the note velocity in the piano and banjo chords in "Can You Hear Me Now" vary from, like 49 to 90. Midi allows you to set the velocity of every note in the chord the same, and that's more machine than human, so the variation could explain the "live" feel, at least to some extent.

Regarding the problem with the sound of some presets, I think maybe that's just GM presets, especially MS Wavetable SW synth. I really wish there was some way a person could edit and/or change the presets, but I guess that's not possible.

I'll look for that hand clap.

all best,
mgj