Thread: Way Down Yonder
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 06:07 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Fred, Sounds like as und

Hi Fred,

Sounds like as underaged teens in the same years, we were doing things we otherwise wouldn't have because of music, though your experiences sound a lot more exciting. To be playing in a night club with a Dixieland group at that age--wow! As a piano/theory student, also trying to learn a bit about tuning pianos, I was sometimes in night clubs, but always during the afternoon when my teacher, who also tuned the instrument he played so well, got it ready for its evening, late-night, wee hours use.

I don't know about leaving Dixieland for Rock and Roll...though, looking back, I find a lot more musical content in R&R than what it evolved into when I was in college, and later. Those were interesting years in music, when you consider that you could tune in a radio--an AM radio, no less--if you knew which station and time of day, and get everything from big band, to jazz, to classical (overnight), though most of it was what you'd hear in the high school hang-outs.

The revision of "Can You Hear..." sounds as if one of the guy's foot kept tapping and they started over again. I forgot to remark, yesterday that, in both versions, now, you've somehow captured the sound of a live performance. If there are GM presets for hand claps, they'd fit right in as the audience got into the music.

all best,
mgj