Thread: 'dirty' midi
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Active User

Smile Re: 'dirty' midi - further update

Hallo, everyone

More about my problems with NC and Ketron SD2

Yesterday
(a) I simply restarted NC after booting up (the notebook having been 'off' for some 12 hours)
Loaded Notation's own 'Twinkle' file and tried to play – result as before ie something is sent to the SD2, but what comes out is just garbled sound and a lock-up

(Have repeated that today, Monday, with the same result. And then have had both Midi-Illustrator Maestro and Midi-Illustrator Player playing through the SD2 and scrolling happily. I don't like their screen as much as NC – but they are working !) )

(b) Removed Notebook and put my Asus Laptop (which has my original purchase of NC3) into the identical hardware set-up.

NC detected the usb midi in, and played a test scale correctly. But then I loaded Notation's own 'Twinkle' file and tried to play – result as before ie something is sent to the SD2, but what comes out is just garbled sound and a lock-up

Conclusion: suggests there may be nothing wrong or garbled with the NC set-up on the Notebook, since the NC set-up on the Asus is reacting exactly the same way. In which case, no point in re-installing ?

It is possible that I am doing something wrong somewhere in the set-up – but what could that be ?

From first principles: it seems likely either that Notation is not sending some initial code which the SD2 expects, or conversely, that it is sending some code which is not necessary/is actually 'confusing' the SAD2.
Again, I can only speculate on how the parallels that are working, are working ?

(c) Have also experimented with LoopBe virtual midi cable. I have had it recognised as the 'out' of NC and the 'in' of OMB, but I cannot detect that anything is passing from one to the other. Eg if I play Twinkle in NC, it scrolls without sound, but 'record' in OMB does not pick it up.

(d)I haven't previously said anything about Windows versions.
The Notebook runs Win 7 Starter
The Asus runs Win 10, upgraded from an original Win 8 installation.
Are you aware that Windows support for Midi varies significantly for these versions ? What is NC3 principally aimed at ?

(e)The last thing I can think of is that I still have NC 2.6.3 on an old desk-top. I could see whether that will run the SD2 happily. If so, it would do all I need on the Notebook (although I note the help window doesn't record the registration code, and I don't think I've got an installation *.exe for it, either).

Sincerely

Ian G.