View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Yesterdays Septet

Hi Ralph,

Love it! You're getting more comfortable with the drums and bass, and doing it well, too I'm adding this to my "play along practice" repertoire!

One thought for the score (for live musicians).
The glissandos (eg. m1, m3, m5, etc.) might be worth a "David Jacklin" treatment if you're scoring for live musicians (I noticed the instrument names on the drum staff)

He creates two staves for each instrument, one for "scoring", the other for "performance" which is hidden and is used for the performance of things like glissandos and other figures that Composer doesn't do "intelligently" (eg. most ornaments are done "intelligently", and play as written; glissandos are on the "to do" list, but currently have to be written out like you've done here.) In such a scenario, the glissando would show in the "scoring" staff as just the beginning and ending notes, with the glissando and line between them, the way a musician would expect to see them written. The "scoring" staff's notes can be set to a Note Velocity of 1 so that they will highlight on playback, but not be heard. The "scoring" staff is the one he prints for musicians that will be playing live.

The "performance" staff is hidden (except when working on it, of course) and is used for putting the actual notes (such as those here in the glissando figures) for making demo or backing tracks as needed, where you want to make the sound just right, even if it means messy notation. Or, in the case of something like Garritan sound libraries, such a "performance" staff is used for keyswitches and such. Staves can be hidden or shown in parts using Part/Display or Define Part. Just a thought, in case you ever need to pull dual-duty with a file.

The bass line is cool just as it is

ttfn,
Sherry