View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 07:57 PM

Default You’re Sixteen Duet

“You’re Sixteen” was written by 1960 by Robert B. and Richard M. Sherman. It was a popular hit by Ringo Starr, the drummer from “The Beatles”. This arrangement is a reduction of that song, and therefore, done in that style.

To accommodate Ringo’s style, I have notated this arrangement as “Pop Swing”, and have made corresponding changes to the duration and attack of many notes to make it sound like Ringo’s singing style. If you would like to know more about this, click on the Piano Roll tab. Also, you could read my thread on “Swing Feel” to get more insight on swing.

Ringo’s arrangement is unusual in that the arranger did not keep the bridge as originally written by the Sherman brothers. For anyone who is interested, I have included the Composer file You're Sixteen Original Bridge. I have to say, I like what Ringo’s arranger did for the bridge better than the original.

Another unique aspect of Ringo’s arrangement is that it is the only piece of Pop music that I have ever heard that has a Kazoo in the background and also a Kazoo solo. I have captured some of the Kazoo background lines in the Alto part and a modified part of a Kazoo segment in harmony in the ending.

Cynthia and I are having a ball playing this song. We hope you enjoy it.

If you would like to see the lyrics or the chords, you can use Composer commands to display them: for lyrics use qsl; for chords use qscn.

Ralph R. Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not You're Sixteen Duet.not (47.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: not You're Sixteen Original Bridge.not (7.9 KB, 1 views)