View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: file cant open according to its expected format

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPianoKid View Post
I had been using notation and my computer suddenly restarted with three specific files open. When the computer started up again after it suddenly shut off, the files that had been open get a message that say they can't open because of their "expected format" and that the files were made with a newer version of Notation.
Crashes are never fun; the error message you got is because the typical cause of a file not opening is due to a newer version file. I will write up that the error message should include the possibility of a corrupted file (which yours probably is due to the crash). This is now Task 2815.

Quote:
The upsetting part of this is that my version (2.6.3) is the most up to date for version 2 so now I feel like I'm being forced into buying version 3.
Nope - this message is a bit of a "leftover" from a file format change we had to make previously. No forcing you to get v3.

Quote:
There has to be a way to get the files back!!!
There is - run the software and use File/Autosave file recovery. Pick the files you were working on with the "1" in the filename. This is the latest version of the file that was autosaved. It should be no older than 10 minutes from the time of the crash, or may be shorter if you had previously set the autosave time to a shorter period.

Quote:
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!! I'M VERY STRESSED OUT AND UPSET BECAUSE THESE FILES WERE A WORK IN PROGRESS AND A WAY FOR ME TO RELAX AND HAVE FUN.
No need to yell - that a stressor
Quote:
To who ever gives me help thank you!
Just send chocolate

ttfn,
Sherry