View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006, 07:31 AM
Herbert WENDE (herbert)

Default Hi Reg I have send previous

Hi Reg

I have send previous bug reports using the word “Bug”. I now use the word “Problem”. To the user a problem is a problem, but not always a bug to the software developer.

If you read my earlier posting dated September 13, 2006, you will find a practical suggestion for bug identification. Although the suggestion requires additional programming

In my experience, Mark has never been sensitive about reports on problems, bugs or suggestions for improvements. He clearly appreciates the goodwill shown by users in spending in some cases some considerable time in order to be helpful.

In the meantime I repeat here for your benefit a problem report, I have just posted elsewhere on this forum.

The earlier posting:

Here are some problems I have encountered while using Composer 1.9.12. Some of the problems were already problems with earlier versions of Composer. Some problems do not show up all the time. Some problems are only cosmetic:

1. At times, after opening a file, the beats per minute percentage indicates 10%%, not 100% as expected. The up/down arrows are incomplete. After using the up down arrows, all is ok.

2. The slider of the page selection control blinks after using the page selection control (perhaps, to indicate that is has received the focus). After clicking elsewhere in the window (changing focus), the blinking stops.

3. The sharp/flat etc symbols are a great addition to the note palette. Here is the problem: I have transposed the instrument key of a staff down by one octave. Adding a sharp symbol from the note palette to a note on that staff, will move the note up from its position on the staff by one octave.

4. Two notes next to each other in adjacent measures are connected by a tie. I try to select another note without a tie in the second of the two measures, by clicking it. The note is not selected, but the tie is selected. I have to remove the tie that crosses the barline between the two measures, to be able to select the note.

5. Selecting a note in one voice of a staff with a rest in the other voice, changes the note palette to the rest palette and the rest of the other voice is selected.

6. Frequent, unwanted automatic change of palettes and the cursor types is a serious problem.

7. Margins are lost in page view.

8. Unwanted meter symbols pop up.

9. Piano roll and graph functions are very user unfriendly in its present form, to the point of seriously interfering with productivity.

Improvements would be:

1. Time display to be on at all times, indicating elapsed time from the beginning of the score to the position of the cursor.

2. H+V scroll bars in window view and the ability to center the point of focus on any part of the score, to conveniently display a desired part of the score and around the point of focus. The point of focus should not change its position in the window, except as set by the user.

3. Continuous choice of magnification.

4. A simple way of joining files directly, without copy and paste.

5. Addition of a save and a save as button

6. Addition of a undo and redo button Redo can not be done out of sequence in the edit menu.

7. The graph system is very good in many ways. What it lacks is the ability to permit precision editing. Perhaps an extra window, that could pop up if desired, displaying a small section of the score, much enlarged, with a precise grid and a set of precision graphic tools available, would improve the situation.

Best wishes

Herbert