Thread: Fill 'er Up
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 05:54 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Larry, Quote: maybe you

Hi Larry,

Quote: maybe you could put up your piece and let others on the forum offer suggestions as you did for me.

This is the piece I mentioned in the earlier post--the one at a stand-still because I know nothing about and need to find out about the guitar before working more on it.

The piece is from about 1982, or thereabouts. A colleague was to be married, with the ceremony on the rim of Canyon de Chelly, which is in Navajo Country. Thus the title of the piece and the Indian Drum in the score. His brother played the cello and I played the flute. He asked if I couldn't write something especially for the wedding for those two instruments. A drummer was to provide some rhythm and on the morning of the wedding it was discovered that a friend of the bride had her guitar in the back seat. There was an extra xerox of the sheet music and she had a half hour to look at it, so she sat in an improvised.

When it came to doing the 25 year later version of the piece, I listened to all the GM guitars available and chose the one that sounded like what she had, and the nylon acoustic is, I think, an exact match. However, I don't know its range (or if maybe I would need to add a bass version), and I don't know if what I have written is playable, by one or even two guitars.

The simple thing would be to make the guitar part for harpsichord, but I want to keep it small and mobile--4 violins, a couple of cellos, in addition to the guitar or guitars and the drum. Any help would be appreciated.

all best,
mgj
<center><table border=1><tr><td>de Chelly
Canyon de Chelly (376.7 k)</td></tr></table></center>