View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 04:08 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Default folder for song files

Hi Maurice,

The differences in the beginning default folder location between versions of the Windows operating system are strictly due to the requirements of program and file management of the different Windows operating systems - in other words, we have to put our default locations based on where the operating system allows that. Microsoft made a big change between the Windows XP operating system and Windows Vista (and later) about where data files (eg. song files) could be stored versus program files (eg. the "working code files" of the software).

Our software provides the option of setting a different default folder for your own personal file management preferences. If you're switching back and forth between operating systems by manually copying over folders please understand that our software (nor anyone else's) will scan your entire hard drive searching for files. If you copy files from one machine to another, you'll need to then open the files in the software to have them show up on the Most Recently Used (MRU) list when the software opens. You can do this by navigating to the folder where you copied the files to, and then opening the song from there.

Quote:
Note, none of the controls on the Save screen are operable, so I cannot change folders by any mechanism.
For my own situation, when I use File/Save (or Save as), I get the following dialog:

SaveDialog.jpg

If this (or something like) is what you're seeing but the options aren't operable, then that's a Windows OS issue that you'll want to get fixed on your machine.

If the above is not what you're referring to, please take a screen shot and post that here with an explanation of what you've tried to do and we'll do our best to help you out.

Quote:
I reopened Composer again expecting to see the file gone from RECENT FILES, but it wasn't and it opened & played, but I could not modify or save.
I'm not clear here about whether you mean you couldn't save the file with a different name in a different location, or whether you couldn't edit the song within notation composer 3.

Quote:
It took me a lot of investigations to find that there was a copy of the original file still in my Downloads folder & Composer must have found it in there. I deleted the file from my Downloads file, reloaded Composer and it could find nothing.
Composer could not find the file because it was deleted from the folder where it was stored. If you open a .mid file but close it without saving it, then the file remains unaltered in the folder where it was originally.

Hopefully something in the above is helpful - if not, we can explore further.

ttfn,
Sherry