View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 10:57 PM
Active User

Default Re: Default folder for song files

Hi Sherry,

I really think you have to look at this issue again as it seems possible for a Windows user switching between an earlier version of the O/S and Windows 7 to get trapped in NoMansLand and be unable to access their files or create a new folder.

Some time ago I was an XP user and starting to find my way around Composer 2.6 where the default Save folder is different to Windows 7. I had saved some basic ,not files in the XP default folder and was working to and from that.

I then, because of other interests stopped using it and shortly afterwards updated my OS to Windows 7 x64 & upgraded to Composer 3. Of course it couldn't find the old XP default folder. I then downloaded a MIDI file from the web and Composer 3 appeared to be able to read it OK. But it was still trying to load into the old non-existent XP folder if I tried to modify and save.

Note, none of the controls on the Save screen are operable, so I cannot change folders by any mechanism. I reopened Composer again expecting to see the file gone from RECENT FILES, but it wasn't and it opened & played, but I could not modify or save.

It took me a lot of investigations to find that there was a copy of the original file still in my Downloads folder & Composer must have found it in there. I deleted the file from my Downloads file, reloaded Composer and it could find nothing.

No point in downloading the file from the web again, I don't want to use my Downloads folder as my default folder under any circumstances. I think that the least we could expect is to be able to change the folder on the Save screen, as would any Windows user. It's part of normal Windows functionality. Is by any chance this folder name stored in Windows Registry?

Maurice