Thread: A cool breeze
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 04:58 PM
Senior User

Default Re: A cool breeze

Dear Mr. rrayner, First, thank you for the comments and critique. I really need to know how my musings are perceived and any thing I can do to be better at getting them out of my head.
Now, I must confess, that the drum parts are not complicated (to me!) and do not warrant the attention you suggest. That said, I don't know how to start a thread on how to make drum lines. Maybe you can help me with that.
My explanation as to how "COOL BREEZE" drums were conceived is this;
The MPC-3000 is a sampling machine used heavily during the Hip-Hop era. It's primary function was to Sample sounds and sequences from outside sources (by any of a myriad of methods) and then be able to manipulate the sample in time, speed, pitch, reverse or forward and in style. I simply input the drum line note by note and selected a swing tempo, much like a 5/4 tempo with pause, and then input (also note by note) the chords and bass lines. The Trumpet was muted and much like Miles Davis would do (sparingly, but with depth and morosity). I must also confess, that the Vibes were the TOTAL INSPIRATION that I had to get out of my head. It haunted me. Right until I wrote it down.
Well, write me back. I guess I can tell you a little more about how I compose drum lines. I no longer use anything but my feelings and Notation. I think I even got the Swing. :-)