Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Easy notes in Composer (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3450)

Ashg 10-31-2010 01:23 PM

Easy notes in Composer

First of all hello to everyone as this is my first post:D

I trying to use easy notes in Composer and I'm getting the message "Tuplet note would not extend beyond end of the tuplet" .

What am I going wrong. I would really like this to work because this would be the main reason for me to buy this software.

Sherry C 10-31-2010 05:18 PM

Re: Easy notes in Composer

Hi,

Can you please post the file that you're trying to display Easy Notes for? This may be a bug that I'll need to check out.

Thanks!
Sherry

Ashg 11-01-2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 15052)
Hi,

Can you please post the file that you're trying to display Easy Notes for? This may be a bug that I'll need to check out.

Thanks!
Sherry

Do you mean the midi file or the saved file? I don't know how to post that.

NotationUser 11-01-2010 10:59 AM

When you post a reply you have several "additional options" if you scroll down.

You need to click on "manage attachments" to upload and attach any files to your posts.

Just have a look... :cool:

Sherry C 11-01-2010 01:08 PM

Hi,

Either the .mid or .not file would be fine.

To attach one (or both) files,
1. click on the "Paperclip" button at the top of the Reply box when you start a reply. A dialog will open for managing attachments.

2. Click one of the "Browse" buttons, and find the file on your computer. Then click "Open" in the lower left of that box.

3. When you're done finding the file(s), then click the "Upload" button. When you done, you can click the "Close this window" text, or the red "X" in the upper right corner.

4. If you want to insert the attachment(s) in some special spot in your reply, you can click the down-triangle/arrow next to the Paperclip button, and select the attachment that you want insert at that point.
ttfn,
Sherry

NotationUser 11-01-2010 01:19 PM

Nice - didn't realize this way to access the attachments dialog alternatively... :eek:

Ashg 11-01-2010 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK here we have it Attachment 566

I hope it's just a software bug:confused:

NotationUser 11-01-2010 10:15 PM

I had no trouble or error message opening that file in Composer.

However the score looked weird and playback sounded strange either.

What kind of music is this? :confused:

What version of Notation Software are you using?? :confused:

Sherry C 11-01-2010 10:33 PM

Hi,

This file looks like it came from a program that purports to export MIDI from audio files - am I right? Unfortunately we have not yet found a good piece of software that can successfully perform this operation. I don't say that to put down anyone, it's just a very, very difficult task to solve, and no one has done it satisfactorily yet. Celemony's Melodyne editor does some incredible audio analysis, but even the MIDI output from that is less than stellar for trying to get sheet music. Note timing, pitch bends (for instruments that have vibrato) and other issues just make the transcription of audio to MIDI an extremely daunting task.

With this file you can tell just by playing it in Composer (or any other MIDI application) that a lot of overtones were mistaken for actual notes (giving chords for what should be single notes) and the timing of notes is quite bad. This file would take an enormous amount of work to try and get any legible sheet music from it. Notation Composer does have a new Rebar feature that can help with timing issues (you can read about it in Help/Users Guide, and use the Index to look up "rebar"), but that is most useful with files that only have timing issues, not the compounded problems that this file has.

You can read our page at http://www.notation.com/Articles-AudioToSheetMusic.htm for how to get sheet music from audio files.

ttfn,
Sherry

Ashg 11-01-2010 11:03 PM

OK thank you for your help. I did know the file had loads of overtones in it!

I was just looking for the main flute melody.

I will have a look at the link and the help about Rebar.

Thanks again:)

Sherry C 11-02-2010 12:02 AM

Hi,

If it's just a melody line that you're after, and you have a MIDI keyboard (just a cheap one will do), you can use my "Bang and Fix" technique (which I do A LOT).
1. Start a new file in Composer, and select the staff you want to record into.

2. Start recording, and just bang in the rhythms of the notes you want. It's really helpful here if you use the metronome, and if you have the melody solidly in your head, because if you play keyboard as poorly as I do, the pitches will not sound right, and might throw you off a bit til you're used to the technique :)

3. When you're done recording, go back and fix the pitches. I do this by clicking on the first note, and singing while I use P + up or down arrow key to adjust the pitch til it matches what I'm singing.

4. Then I use the Right Arrow key to go to the next note, and adjust it approrpriately using P + up or down arrow key.

5. Wash, rinse, and repeat. It's actually pretty quick after you get the hang of it.
Or if you can play keyboard and have a MIDI keyboard (cheap ones are only around $50 new, sometimes less for used ones) you can just record the thing in to Composer and be done with it :)

ttfn,
Sherry

Ashg 11-03-2010 09:25 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the tip but I play flute and have no idea on keyboards. Tried playing one about 20 years ago....Not my thing :eek:

NotationUser 11-04-2010 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe it's an idea to look into Akai or Yamaha breath controllers.

Not sure about fingering but I think this is probably configurable to one you are familiar with.

These devices directly produce midi and controller data you can use for Notation Software or other midi programs, even synthesizers if you are interested in that. You don't have hassle with audio to midi conversion that way. That's probably closer to the wind instruments you are familiar with and simpler than trying to learn the keyboard.

Akai's EWI USB is also not too expensive and sometimes contained in bundles with other useful software.

Ashg 11-04-2010 07:14 PM

I found a few Videos on Youtube of the Akai EWI :cool: .

I'm not sure I would use something that like much but I will try one the next time I'm in a music shop.

NotationUser 11-04-2010 08:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just mentioned this to show you an optional midi input device that is not a keyboard and closer to a real wind instrument. ;)

Also the EWI is probably closer to a clarinet or saxophone it's finally an instrument of its own - like synthesizers are no pianos.

There are quite some more strange controllers around - like the "Eigenlabs" "Eigenharp" controllers that have breath input too... but are very special and expensive electronic midi controllers... :cool: