Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Staff Setup (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3458)

herbert 11-13-2010 10:25 PM

Staff Setup

Hi,

The “Staff Setup” dialog displayed via the menu “Staff – Setup…” does no longer permit the change of staff names.

This is most inconvenient when setting up the instrumentation for an orchestral score, or making changes to a score.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Sherry C 11-13-2010 11:01 PM

Re: Staff Setup

Howdy Herbert,

I'm not seeing that problem here. Is there a particular file that you're trying to work with? Are you seeing this problem with multiple files? Please post (or send to support@notation.com) a file or files that show the problem and I'll have a look.

Thanks!
Sherry

herbert 11-13-2010 11:38 PM

Hi Sherry,

Any file I have tried shows the problem, including “Create a New Song” from the opening screen of Composer.

Composer has two “Staff Setup” dialogs. The one accessible via the buttons works ok. The one accessible via the menu has the problem. This is a more efficient dialog.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Sherry C 11-13-2010 11:49 PM

Hi Herbert,

I've just tried using both dialogs, and they're both working for me in Composer 2.6.3 I also tried using the menu Staff/Setup to change the staff names for staves that weren't in the Part that was showing, and that worked as well for me here.

This is on just opening a file. Perhaps there needs to be some editing done to the file in order for the problem to show up?

ttfn,
Sherry

herbert 11-14-2010 12:06 AM

Can’t explain it, the problem is consistent.

Herbert

Sherry C 11-14-2010 12:11 AM

Hi Herbert,

Just for kicks, can you please send me one of the files that you're working with?

ttfn,
Sherry

herbert 11-14-2010 01:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Sherry,

One of my better compositions!

If I edit the staff name and close the Staff Setup dialog. The old staff name remains on the score.

Herbert

Sherry C 11-14-2010 01:31 AM

Howdy Herbert,

Ok, something weird is going on here. I just did the following:
1. Opened your file.
2. Click Staff/Setup
3. Highlighted the Staff name.
4. Typed in "Herbert" - see that it changes in the Staff Setup dialog.
5. Click "Ok." to save and exit
6. "Herbert" now shows in the score as the staff name like it should.

Am I missing something?

My best suggestion at this point is to re-install the latest version (Composer 2.6.3) again, restart the computer, and see how it goes.

ttfn,
Sherry

herbert 11-14-2010 02:02 AM

Help!

I have just lost my Notation Composer completely. Can you direct me to a new download.

Herbert

herbert 11-14-2010 03:16 AM

Hi Sherry,

I have managed to reinstall Composer 2.6.3 by re-downloading the file from Notation.com. It has not changed the situation. I am using Windows XP SP3. From my point of view, there is no urgency to cure my problem.

Best wishes,

Herbert

PetMei 06-25-2011 10:59 AM

Same problem on my side. For a quick editing job I downloaded 2.6.3 demo (have my licensed version back at home), created a new file using SATB staff template, inserted a new staff below Soprano in Staff Setup (default name in Staff Setup is Acoustic Grand Piano (same as the MIDI sound), appearing in the score as Unnamed), renamed it (name and abbreviation) in the Setup but the score is not updated, and returning to the Staff Setup both name and abbreviation are back to default. (Windows 7 64 bit).

Best regards
Peter

Sherry C 06-25-2011 01:10 PM

Hi Peter,

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetMei (Post 15989)
Same problem on my side. For a quick editing job I downloaded 2.6.3 demo (have my licensed version back at home), created a new file using SATB staff template, inserted a new staff below Soprano in Staff Setup (default name in Staff Setup is Acoustic Grand Piano (same as the MIDI sound), appearing in the score as Unnamed), renamed it (name and abbreviation) in the Setup but the score is not updated, and returning to the Staff Setup both name and abbreviation are back to default. (Windows 7 64 bit).

Thanks for the report here. This one is a real puzzler because it's so sporadic. It doesn't happen on my Win7 64 bit machine at home (desktop) but does happen on the Win7 32 bit laptop that I'm using for work when away from home (discovered that one just this past week), but doesn't happen on the old Win7 32 bit laptop that I was using previously.

Currently the best I can do is to tell you that the workaround for the problem is to use the individual Staff Setup button for each staff if the larger Staff/Setup (from the menu, which is the "all staves" dialog) doesn't work. You can change the name for the staff there, and it "sticks" every time (as far as I know). Sorry for the problem.

ttfn,
Sherry

PetMei 06-25-2011 07:39 PM

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for the fast answer. Yes, your workaround works :-)

Best regards
Peter