Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Structure Question (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=34283)

rrayner 04-21-2018 06:43 PM

Structure Question

2 Attachment(s)
The attached duet is going to be very long and I'm trying to structure it to fit on 3 printed pages. In order to do so, I have to do some rather creative roadmapping. The flow goes the way I want it to because I used the qri command to make it so, but of course the underlying Composer logic says "The validation of repeat and ending numbers detected an implausibility...".

Logically, a D. S. al Coda would be appropriate for this situation, but I need that for later in the song. I've never seen two separate D. S.s and Codas used - that would be very bizarre.

I need to have 2-7 repeated and 12-24 repeated in order to keep the score small enough (we play from the printed score, not separate parts).

The score will be about 90 measures long when it's complete and I'm hoping to not overflow onto page 4. In my experience, I haven't seen any structures quite like this. I could label the endings at 25-27 and 28-30 endings 5 and 6, to try to clarify the flow. Any suggestions?

BTW, there is an error in the error message - says "needs to be check", instead of "needs to be checked". I will see if I can attach the PNG file, along with the song.

Ralph Rayner

dj 04-22-2018 12:26 PM

Re: Structure Question

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, Ralph:

If I suss out your intention correctly, suggested changes attached. Using a D.S. al coda and adding the "1st" repeat of the A section as actual bars, it still fits all on one page. To be played through to the D.S. then played with repeats again, then to Coda.

Also, attached is a screenie of the Ending dialogue box with three grammatical errors highlighted: 1: should read "consecutive", rather than "consecutively"; 2 and 3: the "nor"s are redundant -- "No gaps are possible within the repeat bars or when the song continues."

Also, in your attached screenie, on the second line "deteted" should be "detected."

Other than that, there's not a thing wrong! ;)

David

rrayner 04-22-2018 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My apologies, David. I was hasty in posting a partial score that did not show the complexity of the problem. The attached unfinished score shows the entire framework and the underlying music is controlled by the qri command.

Now I show where I am already needing the Segno and Coda. Structurally, it plays right, but I'm wondering if there is a traditionally more correct way to notate this road map.

Another note on the original error message - it includes the misspelled "inconsisteancy".

Thanks for the work you put in.

Ralph

dj 04-24-2018 12:11 PM

Hi, Ralph:

Well, I must say, you've stumped me. I get lost somewhere around the segno. :D

I looked at several part extractions and one piano-vocal score for the How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria online and they all simply go straight through without repeats of any kind. Not what you want, I know.

You may have to go on to two pages.

Doesn't help, I know.

David

rrayner 04-24-2018 01:35 PM

Thanks, David. My goal is keeping the score with as few measures as possible without making it look crammed - in this case, keeping it to three pages (or under), while still having the entire song. I print the score for my wife and I to play from, rather than individual parts - more than three pages is hard to manage (no place to turn pages and keep continuity ;) ).

So, whether or not this approach fits traditional notation, I think it has a logical flow, and to us it conveys the intent, and of course, the qri command controls the real flow.

The song book I started with had it written out in longhand without the repeats, as you mentioned, but that was six pages long with the lead line and a two-handed piano part.

Thanks for taking the time and effort - much appreciated.

Ralph