Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Piano's pedal & Notation Software Usage. (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=32503)

lavajunkie 01-08-2015 02:03 PM

Piano's pedal & Notation Software Usage.

I have a technical question abut the way Notation Software works I think...

First of all, thank you to the person who got my repeats in order for this song. Secondly I had a happy accident. (Don't you just love when you have those?)

Anyway, the song in question was re-recorded by me because I was playing around with different sounds and found something better. I had decided I would use a metronome to get the tempo perfect.
As I was recording, listening to the beat it made, I was thinking drums might go well with this piece. So I found some drums on my board that worked really well.

I recorded the drums separately and put them all together. This is where I noticed the timing was off just wee but noticeable. (I listen to my work before publishing a ton to make sure it's absolutely perfect.) So I thought maybe if I recorded a short bit of it just to get the instruments down, save to midi, then uploaded to Notation for final editing, consisting of removing the notes recorded with ones written; I would know it was absolutely perfect in tempo.

My problem is this: I am really heavy on the sustain pedal for most of my music; I.E. I hold it down throughout the whole song. When I type the notes in manually it never sounds the same. I think Notation calls this "the piano roll". I have never been really good at using this, and want to.
I don't want someone to do this for me. (I've had too much help for one day!) I just need to know how the piano roll works and how to get it to sound as if I'm holding the sustain pedal through out the whole song. I've tried messing with the piano roll before, to no avail .

Thank you!
James R.

Sherry C 01-08-2015 03:43 PM

Re: Piano's pedal & Notation Software Usage.

Hi,

Actually there is a MIDI cc for Sustain Pedal. You can use Graph Over Notes and click the Pedal button to start editing that. The Sustain Pedal is either On or Off, so it's a pretty easy graph to draw in :) Unfortunately I have yet to make a tutorial video for Graph Over Notes, but if needed you can find specific instructions in Help/Users Guide and then use the Index to look up "sustain pedal".

ttfn,
Sherry

dj 01-08-2015 03:47 PM

Hi, James:

Rather than the piano roll, try the GraphOverNotes (TM) feature.

Click on the GraphOverNotes (TM) tab in the main palette.

Each staff will now have a dotted line above and below it.

Click on the second icon from the left in the detail palette (looks like a pencil with a sloping straight line).

Now draw a line on the staff that you wish to sound sustained. The line must be at the top dotted line, as MIDI CC #64 (Sustain Pedal) only has two settings: ON (top, 127) and OFF (bottom, 0).

The line you just drew should automatically extend for the full length of the piece.

It's a good idea to draw a short OFF line (at the bottom dotted line of the staff) at the end, just to make sure the Sustain Pedal CC is turned off.

You'll need to do this for each MIDI channel that you want to sound sustained, bearing in mind that multiple staves can be assigned to the same MIDI channel and that the lines you draw will affect all the sounds on that channel.

From there, it's a simple matter to add ON/OFF changes to make it sound the way you want. The Erase tool is the second from the right on the detail palette.

Good luck.

David

dj 01-08-2015 03:48 PM

And Sherry beat me to it. ;)

lavajunkie 01-08-2015 09:18 PM

Although I didn't get a chance to use Notation; I did find something that worked as well. I have Cool Edit software; and what I did was, I recorded the drums first, then using another software that records audio to .wav or whatever you need, then using Cool Edit and 2 sets of ear phones I listened to the drums while I played recored the piano parts.
I recored the piano stuff in parts; making sure each part mached exactly to the drums. I then recorded it just like the drums, and used Cool Edit to piece it all together.