Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Suggestions and feature requests (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ability to import MusicXML and/or ABC (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3453)

mswlogo 11-08-2010 05:48 AM

Ability to import MusicXML and/or ABC

There are tons of tunes out there in MusicXML and ABC Format.

For example http://abcnotation.com/search

It's easy to convert MusicXML or ABC to MIDI. But the problem is a bunch of the structure of the tune is lost.

All the repeats, endings, pick up alignment and chord names get lost.

There are applications that can import them directly and retain format and play they. Problem is they are terrible at playing them compared to Notation Composer. I even tried Finale demo and I still think Notation is better.

But it would so nice if Notation Composer could do either format (since there converters that can convert ABC to MusicXML).

NotationUser 11-08-2010 10:50 AM

Re: Ability to import MusicXML and/or ABC

I agree and have asked already the same concerning XML.

I think music XML import is already a point on the wish list. However I think it's not a quick business to implement that to a full extend so maybe we unfortunately have to wait a bit for that...

Sherry C 11-08-2010 12:36 PM

Hi guys,

MusicXML import for Composer is on the "to do" list.

We haven't had a request for importing ABC format for a long, long time. We know that there are a lot of tunes out there in ABC format, but because of the lack of requests, we have pretty much shelved that format. So now's your opportunity - if you'd like to see an ABC import feature, let us know. We have a lot of requests, and we try to prioritize them according to the needs of the majority of our users.

ttfn,
Sherry

NotationUser 11-08-2010 01:08 PM

I am not quite sure about the "ABC" format.

Is this the same as the free "LilyPond" score rendering project uses?

The final score renderings look awesome but it does not come with a graphic editor and is somewhat unpleasing to use...

Anyway, if people like to try it for printing "ABC", you can find "LilyPond" here:
http://lilypond.org/index.de.html

mswlogo 11-08-2010 01:43 PM

People get confused on the purpose and needs of Notation Composer for different users.

It's not to just SEE the notes and print them. It's to PLAY along AND SEE the notes at the same time.

There are dozens of apps (some free) that can convert ABC to Notation or to MusicXML or MusicXML to notation and print the score.

Many of them stop there.

A few allow to play it. But many play them poorly compared to Notation Composer. Many don't allow controlling which staffs play and which are visible (That's huge).

The only software I have seen that does it all is Finale ($600.00) and I still think Notation Composer does it better.

One thing that many of the ABC to MIDI converters do (like the one built into http://abcnotation.com) is generate a bass clef staff of chords from the chord names in the ABC (a seperate MIDI Track/Instrument?). Most tools that import ABC directly don't do this. This is huge. Because it allows a user to control the viewing and listening of chords with Notation Composer.

As I get better I shut the melody off and let the chords play while my eyes still follow the score of just the melody.

Also the request is not for the purpose of editing or Composing ABC or MusicXML. It's just to get that information contained in the ABC or MusicXML into a great tool called Notation Composer. Once there I don't care what format it is in.

There are also plenty of tools that convert ABC to MIDI. But they lose structure of the tune. Repeats, Chords, alternate endings and Measure alignment (all in my tutorial of how to restore it all).

NotationUser 11-08-2010 02:59 PM

I am not quite sure what confusion you are about. I guess every user has different imaginations on what a program should do - it's not the program that decides what people need - does it? ;)

Well, you and me too would like to import music XML and probably other formats into Notation - without loss and the need reconstructing data that was there before. Better access to more content is for sure always desirable. I am sure improvements will be done, maybe not instantly.

Notation has a well balanced feature set for creating score, playing along, learning, editing midi and some other useful purposes. I think this mix makes it so interesting.

Free tools often focus on certain aspects only (because making software is more work than some might imagine) and you have to combine many of them to get what you want. It's often too much compromising either. If we turn to shareware, some bucks here and there can easily turn out to a higher expense for a less functional set of stuff as you can get with a solution like Composer. In this regard I agree as well.

However, if you set other price levels you can get more for more, like Notion 3 which is a kind of reference to me when it comes to the combination of score, performance and production. There are similar functions to mute or display selections of staffs, there is a full audio mixing console and it comes with built in orchestra samples from London Symphony Orchestra which surpasses almost any free SF2 based sound system I have tried - not to mention the default synth in windows... If you want all that the price of Notion 3 is a no brainer too...

Finally everyone has to find out which product suits his needs best.

I have decided for myself too that Notation Composer does enough of what I want and need. One thing I like is the integration of editing midi without going into the hex code aspect, event lists and the like... I also like playing along or recording my improvisation performance into Composer for practice and see the score showing up so close to what I imagined.

I think the charming aspect of Notation Software is it does not try to go into extremes - focusing on features that helps most musicians to a reasonable extent in a well balanced mixture.

But finally you can't discuss taste - from my experience that never worked... :cool:

mrcaland 02-27-2011 01:13 AM

not to weigh in on what a program should and should not do, but i would love to be able to open abc files with out having to export to midi first. i would love to be able to open the music xml files that come from some of the people i play with.
I am a big fan of http://www.thesession.org which posts music in abc format. i would love to copy and paste the text from the browser window straight into an abc window in notation. one less step one less file to clean up ....one less thing :D.

Tim Mariott 09-09-2011 02:45 PM

Sherry

Do you have any update on a realistic timescale for MusicXML import? I'm currently evaluating some printed score recognition software and observe that their MusicXML export is much richer than their MIDI export. It would be helpful in my evaluations if I knew the potential value of MusicXML with respect to Notation COmposer.

Thanks .. Tim

Sherry C 09-09-2011 03:14 PM

Hi Tim,

I have no idea when we'll have MusicXML import at this time.
Sorry...

ttfn,
Sherry

PetMei 05-27-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 16194)
Hi Tim,

I have no idea when we'll have MusicXML import at this time.
Sorry...

ttfn,
Sherry

Hi Sherry,

I hesitate to ask - but how 'dead' is Notation Composer?
I got version 2.6.3 since 2011 and apparently this is all that's out by now. I also would love to have MusicXML import, in order to combine the best of existing tools including Composer, but to me it meanwhile looks like we are waiting in vain.

Still enthusiastic -
Peter

PetMei 05-27-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetMei (Post 62153)
Hi Sherry,

I hesitate to ask - but how 'dead' is Notation Composer?

Still enthusiastic -
Peter

Oh - sorry, I should have looked at the pinned threads ;-)

So there is still hope - looking forward to the future development!

Sherry C 05-27-2013 07:01 PM

Hi Peter,

Yes, we are starting to rev our engines :) If you have not done so, you can read the full announcement regarding the new ownership transition here.

I have been working with Reinhold to get things ready for this transition, and I am very excited and happy to be working with him. He is an extremely bright fellow, and a real "everyday musician" with a great heart for working on the things that really matter to musicians.

ttfn,
Sherry

snoops 09-09-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 62155)
Hi Peter,

Yes, we are starting to rev our engines :) If you have not done so, you can read the full announcement regarding the new ownership transition here.

I have been working with Reinhold to get things ready for this transition, and I am very excited and happy to be working with him. He is an extremely bright fellow, and a real "everyday musician" with a great heart for working on the things that really matter to musicians.

ttfn,
Sherry

Hi Sherry,

Do you have any idea about the timeline for XML import? From my point of view, the support of XML is the most important feature that Notation does not include, and I already started notations of several songs using/learning musescore, for the only reason that I wanted to able to share my notations with other people.

I really don't want to switch to musescore and would be willing to buy a new version of Notation that includes XML import, but if this does not happen within the next few month......

Sherry C 09-09-2013 05:33 PM

Howdy,

It is the bane of developers to announce timelines :)
With that in mind, please know that we are going great guns to get the next version ready for this year :)

ttfn,
Sherry

snoops 09-09-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 62327)
Howdy,

It is the bane of developers to announce timelines :)
y

:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 62327)
Howdy,

With that in mind, please know that we are going great guns to get the next version ready for this year :)

If you are looking for customers that would be willing to test the new version (esp. the German version), I would be glad to assist you :o