Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Future VSTi Hosting (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2078)

Bernie Ackerman (bernie9) 08-16-2006 04:59 PM

Some time ago I read about fut

Some time ago I read about future plans to make Composer more friendly to VST's. Specifically, soundfonts, but I am getting NI's Bandstand. It is similar to GPO. In GPO's case, I believe you have to have Studio, which I take is an interface of sorts.

I need to know whether I need to buy a full fledged DAW or not.

Thanks
Bernie

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-17-2006 05:42 PM

Hello Bernie, Composer'

Hello Bernie,

Composer's VST(i) support is scheduled for release in late November or December. This support will allow you to:
  • play to VST instruments
  • route audio through VST plug-ins
  • manipulate sounds through a few standard effects such as reverb and chorus
  • save VST output as Wave files
This upcoming version of Composer will not, however, support audio recording and audio tracks. Rather, it will support MIDI output through VST instruments, which audio output can then be manipulated through VST plug-ins and a few common effects (eg, reverb, chorus).

Cheers
-- Mark

Bernie Ackerman (bernie9) 08-17-2006 10:16 PM

Thanks Mark That's good n

Thanks Mark
That's good news. I have other means of recording and playing audio tracks.

Bernie Ackerman (bernie9) 12-25-2006 11:57 AM

Is the planned VST(i)

Is the planned VST(i) support part of ver 2.0 ?

andrew hutnick (ahutnick) 12-26-2006 03:03 AM

I am interested as well.

I am interested as well.

Mark Walsen (markwa) 12-27-2006 07:13 PM

Hello Bernie and Andrew, My

Hello Bernie and Andrew,

My above August prediction that the VST(i) support would be ready in late November or December was much too optimistic. Composer 2.0, released on December 16, needed to be released first before I could complete work in the VST(i) support. The VST(i) support is now scheduled for a release in late February or early March, 2007.

The underlying VST(i) playback and solidly working, but I have not yet implemented a user interface on top of that, which will make it easy for the user to assign VST instruments to tracks, and to route sound through VST effects.

Lots of work to do. But I'm no longer trying to do it all myself. I contracted out the underlying VST(i) implementation to a world-class developer.

Cheers
-- Mark

andrew hutnick (ahutnick) 03-27-2007 02:42 PM

Any news on this ?

Any news on this ?

Tim Fatchen (flyingtadpole) 01-24-2008 07:31 AM

Any move here Mark? I'm sa

Any move here Mark? I'm saying rude things at NI Bandstand which I'm trying to use for General Midi right now because I have to run it blind (ie non-notated in front of me!) or buy a new cakewalk version which I don't want to cos it costs....

Susan Bagot (susanmusic) 01-25-2008 09:34 PM

Tim, I've given up on Band

Tim, I've given up on Bandstand myself but have you tried running it with Composer via virtual cables (Midi Yoke or Maple Midi)? I can't remember if I ever got this to work. I think I did succeed in using the Bandstand VST version in Hermann Seib's standalone VST host and then Midi Maple to Composer. There are discussions somewhere in this forum about Seib's VST Host and about virtual cables in case these are new to you. These items are all free downloads so you have nothing to lose but time. (In my case, that was countless hours of trial and error.)

Susan

Sherry Crann (sherry) 01-25-2008 09:46 PM

Howdy folks, There's an

Howdy folks,

There's another thread here where a user (David J) has given some excellent instructions for using Composer with VSTs.

Enjoy http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif
Sherry

Susan Bagot (susanmusic) 01-26-2008 03:48 AM

Wow, that was certainly timely

Wow, that was certainly timely! Thanks to David for the excellent info.

Susan

David Jacklin (dj) 01-26-2008 02:32 PM

De nada. David

De nada.

David