Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Notation Musician and Composer version 22 (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2193)

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-27-2007 12:23 AM

Hello Notation Composer and Mu

Hello Notation Composer and Musician Users,

Notation Composer and Musician version 2.2 is now available. You can update to it using the Software Updates command the the Help menu of Composer or Musician. You are encouraged to update to this version.

Please note: If the Help menu's Sofware Update fails with this error message: "Could not start the automatic update (2)", then it will be necessary for you to redownload and install a complete new purchased copy of Composer or Musician, following the instructions at www.notation.com/Redownload.htm

Here is a summary the enhancements and bug fixes in version 2.2:
  • New Options tab. In previous versions of Notation Composer, the vertically oriented tab at the left side of the window displayed a list of all of the currently opened songs. In version 2.2, an additional Options tab is now displayed. The Options tab takes you back to Notation Composer's opening window, with the familiar options for Create New Song, Search the Internet for MIDI Files, and Open MIDI or Notation File on My Computer.
  • Region Select Mode. To the left of the Select Mode and Add Mode buttons in the main toolbar, there is now a new Region Select Mode button. When it is selected, you can then drag your mouse (hold down the left button key while moving the mouse) to select a region. Before version 2.2, it was necessary to hold down the CTRL key while dragging the mouse to select a region. Instead of clicking this new Region Selection Mode button, you can also double click the right mouse button anywhere in the score. (A single click of the right mouse button toggles between simple Select Mode and Add Mode.)
  • Add Note Mode. An annoyance has been fixed, where in Add Note Mode, the red to-be-added note got stuck in the score when one attempted to move the mouse outside of the score, such as to the staff control buttons on the left.
  • Prepare Fake Book and Sing-Along commands. These two commands now ignore any empty staves (with no notes) as candidates for the melody staff.

Cheers
-- Mark

David Jacklin (dj) 08-27-2007 03:38 PM

Hi, Mark: Maybe it's be

Hi, Mark:

Maybe it's because I'm working on a huge suite of music for Dracula at the moment, but I'm starting to worry about you.

A new version of Composer/Musician 2! . . . PLUS all the other projects on the boil . . PLUS a rumoured holiday with your family (which always exhausts me more than not having a holiday).

So, my question is: Do you ever sleep? Or simply roam the night in bat-form, programming madly?

Yours vampirishly,

David

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-27-2007 04:34 PM

Hi David, Well, you have in

Hi David,

Well, you have inside scoop about "other projects on the boil" that most Notation customers don't yet know about. From their perspective, they might be wondering why relatively little is happening in version 2. It's because some other big things are cooking here.

Although version 2.2 is a somewhat modest increment from verison 2.1, the two new Option tab and Region Select Mode features in the new version 2.2 are quite handy. I definitely recommend that folk get the free upgrade from 2.0 and 2.1 to 2.2.

Cheers
-- Mark

Tim Fatchen (flyingtadpole) 08-28-2007 09:54 AM

Mark, the actual upgrade page

Mark, the actual upgrade page (http://www.notation.com/ComposerUpdate.htm) is still only showing 2.1, not 2.2 http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/sad.gif

Sherry Crann (sherry) 08-28-2007 12:02 PM

Howdy Tim, Thanks for point

Howdy Tim,

Thanks for pointing that out. There will be some users who have an earlier version which was installed with the old installation application, and will need to download the newer version of the program using www.notation.com/Redownload.htm

Happily, for versions of Musician and Composer that are post-2.1, users can simply use the "Helpl/Software updates" command, and not have to manually go via the website "update" pages. The software will automatically check, detect, ask for confirmation, and install the patch for you.

As I recall, I think you fall into this second "automated" group http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

ttfn,
Sherry

Tim Fatchen (flyingtadpole) 08-28-2007 01:27 PM

Heheh, guess who had to go thr

Heheh, guess who had to go through redownload.htm... never mind, quite painless and fast.

But I have to agree with David, I think Mark is generating an amazing amount of work for himself...we dont' want him falling off the perch...not that I'm complaining about the upgrade ;)

Tim Fatchen
www.myspace.com/timfatchen
www.soundclick.com/flyingtadpole

Sherry Crann (sherry) 08-28-2007 03:02 PM

Howdy Tim, Well, _now_ you&

Howdy Tim,

Well, _now_ you're in the automated group ;)

Hope you enjoy the latest release!

And I'll tell Mark how much you're enjoying Composer as soon as we let him have his 5 minutes-per-day break ;)

ttfn,
Sherry

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-28-2007 03:57 PM

Hello Tim,

Hello Tim,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Mark, the actual upgrade page (http://www.notation.com/ComposerUpdate.htm) is still only showing 2.1, not 2.2<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Thanks for reporting that. It's now fixed.

Cheers
-- Mark

R S (Bob) Heuman (rshrsh) 08-28-2007 07:39 PM

Sherry wrote... And I'l

Sherry wrote...

And I'll tell Mark how much you're enjoying Composer as soon as we let him have his 5 minutes-per-day break ;)

-----------------
I'm surprised you give him that much time <grin> ... Isn't there a computer link in the bathroom so that he doesn't miss any opportunity?

FWIW, RsH

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-28-2007 08:18 PM

Well, I do put in lots of hour

Well, I do put in lots of hours here, and have been doing so continuously for 13 years. Sherry has contributed so much as a part-time employee-- doing customer support, testing, product design, web site, and marketing-- that I'm optimistic fairly soon we'll be able to expand to a larger team to get more work done. I'd particularly like to find help on the development side of the business. I love to development music software, but I definitely don't feel the need to do it all myself. Another developer, with world class ranking, is providing a big chunk of software that you all will see in a public beta release of 3.0, hopefully in the next couple of months.

Cheers
-- Mark

Clyde (clyde) 08-29-2007 12:27 AM

Hi Mark & Sherry, When

Hi Mark &amp; Sherry,
When I go to the redownload page it tells me I'm only licenced for v1.7, and the download try to reload a file: MidiNotateComposer117Setup.exe

Any suggestions ... Clyde

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-29-2007 01:11 AM

Hello Clyde, I've now u

Hello Clyde,

I've now updated your customer record. Please try the redownload again.

Cheers
-- Mark

Herbert WENDE (herbert) 08-29-2007 06:53 AM

Hi, Updating to Composer 2.

Hi,

Updating to Composer 2.2 worked well for me.

Can’t wait to try Composer 3.

I will not offer any further comments or reports on the current version of Composer, as I expect Composer 3 to fulfill my wildest dreams about composition software, now only a few weeks away.

Best wishes,

Herbert