Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Suggestions and feature requests (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   A new text tool (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=32580)

dj 06-01-2015 12:19 PM

A new text tool

Hi, Reinhold, Sherry:

Here's a wish-list item for version 4 that I've been thinking about recently.

I'm working on a LOT of pages of orchestration -- 4 shows, 20-30 numbers per show and 8-15 instruments per orchestra.

To ensure that tempii and special instructions are included in every extracted part, I have to go through several hoops. I can use Page Text for initial tempii, etc., but for those further into the number, I either have to add each marking through Free Text attached to each staff or add the markings once (at the top of the score) and move them to each staff before I extract the part. The first method makes for a very messy conductor's score, the second takes a lot of time.

I'd like to see a new text object that behaves like a cross between the current Rehearsal Mark and Free Text types. It would be associated with a specific bar or bar/beat in a score and would, like a Rehearsal Mark, be extracted with each part, but, like Free Text, would not push notes on the staff below it to the right (as Rehearsal Marks do) and would interpret "\ codes" to allow entry of special characters.

Entering of special instructions, tempii and other "inside" text would become a relative snap and the automatic extraction to multiple parts available in printing or saving as PDF would be hugely simplified.

I think the functionality of such a new text object would be very useful and add much to Composer's capability.

David

Sherry C 06-01-2015 04:43 PM

Re: A new text tool

Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestion and the specification :) We do have a task for a way to have "conductor's text" items. Your nice summary statement will help with that implementation :)

Part of the question regarding implementation is where does it make the most sense (and intuitiveness) to add that aspect of the feature? We're open to thoughts and suggestions about that because we often find that different folks look for such "hybrid" features in different places. In the current case, "Free text" is a whole different tool than "Page Text". Let us know what y'all (that's plural ; ) ) think.

ttfn,
Sherry

dj 06-02-2015 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 66243)
Part of the question regarding implementation is where does it make the most sense (and intuitiveness) to add that aspect of the feature?

My feeling is that is should definitely be a text object, under the Text menu.

Quote:

In the current case, "Free text" is a whole different tool than "Page Text".

If it doesn't include graphic objects, specifically (as in choosing them from a menu like inserting notes), then it's text. The "\" code special characters cross the line there, but I usually just type them in anyway, having learned the codes that call them up.

Quote:

Let us know what y'all (that's plural ; ) ) think.

You're sure that's not "y'all'uns"? ;)

One of my long-term projects is researching and restoring an archive of scripts from my home-town's Marks Brothers Dramatic Company, a 19th century troupe who played to more than 8,000,000 people in their careers. One of the scripts is We'uns of Tennessee, a Civil War melodrama. If you hadn't enlightened me on "y'all'uns", I'd have thought it was about children from the Smoky Mountain area. :D

Sherry C 06-02-2015 04:14 PM

Hey David,

Quote:

You're sure that's not "y'all'uns"? ;)
Absolutely sure :) I'm from North Carolina originally :D

There is "y'all" which is the generic plural for the southern states. Then there are variations of "you'uns" or "we'uns" depending on the specific locality. Never - as far as I know - used in combination.

However you never know about mountain folks - they make their own hootch (and drink it) that'll curl your toenails, so there's no telling what they'll say when they get happy....;) (I know because I grew up there :rolleyes:)

ttfn,
Sherry, who can also speak fluent midwestern for those who aren't refined enough to speak Southern ;)

Sherry C 06-02-2015 04:20 PM

p.s. I should mention too that this task is 892 and that I've set it to be reviewed sooner rather than later ;)

ttfn,
Sherry

rrayner 10-16-2015 09:28 PM

David -- what an excellent idea! And I'm so happy to hear it is under consideration for 4.0. I agree that the Text section would be a logical place for it. Perhaps the icon could be a conductor's baton?

This would have give men a place to put song titles within a medley, such as my Broadway 1960s Medley:

http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/sho...light=broadway

If I were printing the parts for it, I would like to be able to show each member of the band what song starts where without using the Rehearsal Marks (of course, it's fairly obvious when you start playing it).

I tried using Rehearsal Marks for that purpose, and as you pointed out, that streeetttcccchhhees out the measure immeasurably (pun intended :rolleyes:).

Ralph

P. S. I meant to mention that my father-in-law is from western PA and he says You'uns.