Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Help Needed: Recording 16 tracks of midi from a workstation (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3950)

astralflyer 12-15-2011 01:59 PM

Help Needed: Recording 16 tracks of midi from a workstation

Can anyone tell me the answer to a (basic) question? All I want to do is record all 16 tracks of midi from a workstation (tyros2), from the sequencer built-in to the keyboard.

I want the Tyros patch information, controller and patch changes to be recorded also.

I have setup NC with the patch/instrument definition files (calkwalk ins) and created the 16 midi channels / staves, but when I record from the Tyros sequencer nothing happens. If i play some notes on the tyros it gets recorded as a basic gm piano.

Please can anyone help?

Sherry C 12-15-2011 03:27 PM

Re: Help Needed: Recording 16 tracks of midi from a workstation

Hi,

The short answer is that Composer only records into one staff (track) at a time.

The other part of that is that, as I understand it, most "auto accompaniment" synths (eg. the Tyros) only output audio for the auto accompaniment, not MIDI. (I know this was true for a Casio I used to have.) Therefore it wouldn't be possible to record it into any MIDI sequencer.

What can be done (also if I recall correctly - I don't have a Tyros to experiment with) is to Save the song file as a .mid file to a disc or memory stick, which can then be opened in Notation Composer, with all the instruments in separate staves.

Perhaps someone else who uses a Tyros can give you better info on how they use it.

ttfn,
Sherry

astralflyer 12-15-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 16482)
Hi,

The short answer is that Composer only records into one staff (track) at a time.

The other part of that is that, as I understand it, most "auto accompaniment" synths (eg. the Tyros) only output audio for the auto accompaniment, not MIDI. (I know this was true for a Casio I used to have.) Therefore it wouldn't be possible to record it into any MIDI sequencer.

What can be done (also if I recall correctly - I don't have a Tyros to experiment with) is to Save the song file as a .mid file to a disc or memory stick, which can then be opened in Notation Composer, with all the instruments in separate staves.

Perhaps someone else who uses a Tyros can give you better info on how they use it.

ttfn,
Sherry

Thanks Sherry, I like your idea of saving the Midi song to Memorystick and playing it back to the Tyros... why didnt I think of that lol. The Tyros does however output the 16 midi channels when playing a sequenced song. I think the problem maybe that the Tyros outputs these on a seperate Midi channel 2, which may explain why my actual played notes are being picked up by NC, but not the sequenced output.

I have tried recording 16 channels of sequence previously with calkwalk and it worked just fine.

The reason i want to do this is so I can play the drums/chords/accompiment into NC, then overdub onto that... this would be very nice.

Sherry C 12-15-2011 07:15 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by astralflyer (Post 16483)
Thanks Sherry, I like your idea of saving the Midi song to Memorystick and playing it back to the Tyros... why didnt I think of that lol.

Hopefully that will work because....

Quote:

The reason i want to do this is so I can play the drums/chords/accompiment into NC, then overdub onto that... this would be very nice.
You can then do this step. I know how useful that is myself, because I do it a lot :)

Quote:

The Tyros does however output the 16 midi channels when playing a sequenced song. I think the problem maybe that the Tyros outputs these on a seperate Midi channel 2, which may explain why my actual played notes are being picked up by NC, but not the sequenced output.

I have tried recording 16 channels of sequence previously with calkwalk and it worked just fine.
I think you're on the right trail here. The "record multiple tracks/staves at once" is on the wish-list for Notation Composer, but I'm unsure at this point in time when that might happen.

In the meantime hopefully you can save the .mid file of the accompaniment and use that. Do let us know how it goes!

ttfn,
Sherry