Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Unable to open saved file (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=30242)

JaneLewis 02-24-2013 03:34 PM

Unable to open saved file

1 Attachment(s)
I have been keying in a piece of music for my choir and have nearly finished it but now find that I cannot open the latest saved file. I have a file from yesterday which is minus an hour's work and that opens OK. I have 5 recovery files and none of them open.

I get a Visual C++ Runtime error "abnormal program termination". The red message at the base of the screen is: "Command is unexpectedly complex (C:NSver2.6\NOTATE\Vertslic.cpp:321"

I attach the problem file, I think!

Can you help, please?

Thanks.

Jane

Sherry C 02-24-2013 07:05 PM

Re: Unable to open saved file

Hi Jane,

Thanks for including the file, and we'll take a look at it.

Do you perchance recall what kind of editing you were doing to the file? I realize that if you have x number of previous autosave copies that won't open, the chances are small that you can recall the type of edit that demonstrates the bug, but I figure it never hurts to ask :)

If you don't mind, can you please send along the backup files as well to support@notation.com

Thanks!
Sherry

JaneLewis 02-24-2013 09:50 PM

Hi Sherry

Thanks for such a quick response.

I think I already had all the notes entered in and that the type of editing I was doing when the problem arose was really tillilating the look of the file. I was putting in a lot of Free Text with some symbols .... things like "Moderato, with a gentle lilt \213 = 116". I was also putting in expressions like mf; mp; cresc, etc.

It was really just the finishing touches to a song for practice purposes for the choir I sing with.

I will send the backup files to you as requested.

Thanks for all your help.

Jane

Sherry C 02-25-2013 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Jane,

Good news - we were able to open your files, find the problem, and fix it. I've sent you the corrected files, and hopefully you should be able to carry on your work where you left off.

This problem was due to an existing bug in Notation Composer 2.6.3 that is now slated for fixing. I'll also add that it wasn't me who found and fixed the problem, but you'll find out more about that later :)

For others who may be following this thread, or who may happen on it, the problem in Notation Composer 2.6.3 (and quite probably also in Notation Musician 2.6.3) is the following.

The "cresc." marking for the bass staff was placed prior to the actual bass note. Please see the screen shot here:

Attachment 888

To avoid the problem when placing "cresc." markings on the score, please be sure to place them on the notes. This is apparently important for notes at the beginning of a measure, as seen in this screen shot.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and hope you can pick right up where you left off. We're working to get it fixed :)

ttfn,
Sherry

Sherry C 02-25-2013 03:02 PM

Hi Jane,

I should add as well - there is a "cresc." dynamic mark that you can use rather than trying to use lyrics in a non-note location.

To do this,
  1. click on the "Expressions" tab,
  2. and select "cresc." on the tool palette.
That should avoid the problem. To be more clear (I'm afraid I wasn't below), the "cresc." marking in the file was a Lyric text that was not assigned to a note, and this caused the problem. Using the "official" Expressions/cresc. tool works fine.

Again sorry for the bother, but thanks for digging up that bug for us so we could fix it :)

ttfn,
Sherry

JaneLewis 02-25-2013 09:51 PM

Hi Sherry

Wow, what service and what a result!

Many thanks to you and DH for untangling the fix I got my file into. Sorry to have uncovered a bug :eek: !

I suppose that new and inexperienced users like myself sometimes do things in strange ways which must test the software to the limit ;). I have noted your advice on the standard way of entering a cresc. and hope to finish this song without further mishap.

Thanks again for such rapid and excellent support.

Jane

dj 02-26-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 61926)
Hi Jane,

I'll also add that it wasn't me who found and fixed the problem, but you'll find out more about that later :)
ttfn,
Sherry

Stop teasing!

Sherry C 02-26-2013 03:19 PM

Howdy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj (Post 61929)
Stop teasing!

Soon and very soon ;)

ttfn,
Sherry