Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Downloading Problem (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2917)

chtxdrgn 11-30-2009 02:40 AM

Downloading Problem

1 Attachment(s)
I use "Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus", last updated today and I'm running on Windows XP. I don't think it matters, but just in case, I use the Google Chrome browser.

---

Subject: Downloading the software prompts my Anitvirus to tell me i'm downloading a trojan.

1. Have the said antivirus program installed

2. Try downloading the bought software (using the link you get in your email after you purchase Notation Composer)

3. Antivirus claims that I'm downloading a Virus called 'TR/Dropper.Gen [trojan]' which is located in the temporary directory: 'C:\Documents and Settings\UserLogin\Local Settings\Temp\235.tmp'

---

I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to post this (should I run over to my antivirus company's forums?). I decided to download it anyway, after I reproduced it twice. Here is the picture of the error message I got and the action I performed after being notified:

Sherry C 11-30-2009 11:04 AM

Re: Downloading Problem

Howdy,

Please do check with the antivirus company to see what kinds of false positives might trigger this message. We work hard to keep a clean website, and would never knowingly transmit any sort of malware.

Please do let me know what you find out from them, either here or via support@notation.com

Thanks!
Sherry

chtxdrgn 12-05-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 13281)
Howdy,

Please do check with the antivirus company to see what kinds of false positives might trigger this message. We work hard to keep a clean website, and would never knowingly transmit any sort of malware.

Please do let me know what you find out from them, either here or via support@notation.com

Thanks!
Sherry

Sorry, I've been busy. It might take me a while to respond. I've been checking around on the AntiVir website, and the only way I can submit a false positive report is if I also submit a url they can download the file from. Now, I realize that the link I use to download the file can only be downloaded from a certain number of times, so I don't know what to do about it. If there isn't a link I can use, I'll just go ahead and ask around on their forums.

Sherry C 12-05-2009 04:18 PM

Howdy,

For what it's worth, I've tested all our download files (full version which customers get, as well as trial versions which everyone else gets) and have found no problems (no viruses of any kind). We use Rackspace for our webhosting, and they have always been tops in keeping things clean. I'm confident that this is a false positive (I had some software a few years back that gave me so many of these that I finally got rid of it.)

If you want to give the folks at the AntiVir site a link, you can give them the link to the trial download. Whatever is triggering the false positive should show up in that download as well, and they should be able to use that link to figure it out.

ttfn,
Sherry

chtxdrgn 12-05-2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 13310)
Howdy,

For what it's worth, I've tested all our download files (full version which customers get, as well as trial versions which everyone else gets) and have found no problems (no viruses of any kind). We use Rackspace for our webhosting, and they have always been tops in keeping things clean. I'm confident that this is a false positive (I had some software a few years back that gave me so many of these that I finally got rid of it.)

If you want to give the folks at the AntiVir site a link, you can give them the link to the trial download. Whatever is triggering the false positive should show up in that download as well, and they should be able to use that link to figure it out.

ttfn,
Sherry

Alright, I'll do that. I hope I'm the only one with the problem! :)

Sherry C 12-06-2009 12:38 AM

Howdy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by chtxdrgn (Post 13312)
Alright, I'll do that. I hope I'm the only one with the problem! :)

So far yours is the only report we've gotten, so I'm with you ;)

ttfn,
Sherry

Sherry C 04-04-2011 01:56 AM

Hi friends,

I just wanted to share in this thread as well about a testing service for checking to see whether executable files (such as our downloadable installation files) have a virus or not.

http://www.virustotal.com offers a free service to check whether an EXE has a virus, testing against a couple dozen anti-virus apps.

Since different antivirus applications have different ways of checking, if you have only one that says "virus!", it probably is not really a virus, but a false positive.

ttfn,
Sherry

mgj32 04-06-2011 06:31 PM

Hi all,
When I download and install anything, including Composer--trial, full and web update--I always have AVG AV/Firewall running, as well as Threatfire, which seeks files that may engage in suspicious activity. Once a file is installed, I run scans on that directory with AVG AV and Malwarebytes, which check any location the installation has placed a file, as well as the the main directory.

It is rather unusual, when I look at lists of files that have been quarantined or healed, from a number of programs, but since 1.0 Composer and all I have produced with it and all versions since, have been totally clean.

all best,
mgj