Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MidiNotate Composer 11 and Musician 11 have been released (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2241)

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-27-2005 11:55 PM

Hello MidiNotate Users, Mid

Hello MidiNotate Users,

MidiNotate Composer 1.1 and MidiNotate Musician 1.1 have been officially released.

This is the first new release of MidiNotate Composer and Musician since version 1.0.9 eight months ago, in January, 2005. A lot of work has gone into this 1.1 release, which probably should be numbered as 2.0 rather than 1.1.

This 1.1 release marks the maturity of MidiNotate Composer, which was first released almost a year ago, on October 5, 2004. MidiNotate Composer 1.1 has a polished look and feel, very stable behavior, up-to-date documentation, as well as many new features that have been requested by MidiNotate Composer users during its first year in market (not counting 2-1/2 prior years of intensive testing by excellent beta testers).

If you participated in the Composer Beta Release section of this forum, I would like to express my sincere thanks for your help in polishing this release. Your help has made a huge difference!

If you own a purchased copy of Composer 1.0 or Musician 1.0, you can upgrade to version 1.1 for free, by following instructions at www.notation.com\redownload.htm

If you have been using the beta release of Composer 1.1 as a trial version, but have not purchased Composer, you can update your trial version to the final release, as follows: Uninstall the beta release. Then download the trial version of Composer from www.notation.com/midinotatedownload.htm The remaining amount of the 30-day trial period on the beta release will be applied to the newly downloaded trial version. If the 30-day period of the beta release had expired, then the 30-day period of the new trial version will not be reset; in that case, please consider purchasing the full version of Composer 1.1 if you enjoyed using the beta release.

I have never been happier about the quality of these MidiNotate products, and the promise they offer for musical enjoyment and creativity by welcomed users.

Sincerely,
Mark Walsen

Clyde (clyde) 08-28-2005 01:46 AM

Hi Mark, Tried the instruct

Hi Mark,
Tried the instructions but keep getting the message that my one week period has expired.

Cheers ... Clyde

Sherry Crann (sherry) 08-28-2005 04:40 AM

Howdy, I know it doesn'

Howdy,

I know it doesn't help you, Clyde, but my "redownload" worked perfectly. This is mostly just so Mark knows it's not a general problem.

ttfn,
Sherry

andrew hutnick (ahutnick) 08-28-2005 04:57 AM

Hi Mark, I am unable to downlo

Hi Mark, I am unable to download the new version either though as it says my time has expired

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-28-2005 07:14 AM

Hello Clyde and Andrew, If

Hello Clyde and Andrew,

If you have have downloaded and installed the final release of Composer 1.1, and it says that the trial version has expired, then some possible reasons for this are:
  1. You downloaded and installed the trial version of Composer 1.1 rather than the full version. See instructions above.
  2. You're still attempting to run the beta release version of Composer 1.1 in the \Program Files\MidiNotate Beta\Composer directory instead of the \Program Files\MidiNotate\Composer directory. If you're clicking a Composer icon, make sure the short-cut goes to the right version of Composer.
  3. Hmmm, I was about to explain other more complicated reasons, but I'll just say this: If the above two explanations don't fit, try rebooting Windows and running Composer again.
If you still have problems, please let me know.

Cheers
-- Mark

M G Jacobs (mgj32) 08-28-2005 07:35 AM

Hello Mark, The download an

Hello Mark,

The download and installation of 1.12 went fine. It installed itself, however, in Program Files\MN Beta, rather than Program Files\MN. I suppose this is okay, since the buy button is gone and that should mean that the installation is registered.

I presume I should rename Midinotate\Songs, which has a number of sub-directories, and move it to MN Beta, so that I can uninstall 1.09.

If this would be the thing to do, I ought to check on just what to uninstall. In add/remove programs there are three entries:

1. Midinotate Composer 93.78MB
2. Midinotate Composer 38.69MB
3. Midinotate Composer Help 36.25MB

I would guess 1. is v1.12, though I wonder about the size difference between 1. and 2. I have no idea about the Help, .3.

I don't want to do any uninstalling before I know what would be safe.

Or, would you recommend trying to get 1.12 to somehow install to the MN\Composer directory, then move a renamed MN Beta\Songs over there?

all best,
mgj

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-28-2005 05:28 PM

Hello M.G., The final relea

Hello M.G.,

The final release of Composer 1.1 will install itself by default in \Program Files\MidiNotate, not \Program Files\MidiNotate Beta.

If you use the About command in the Help menu, the version of the final release will be reported as 1.1.2, with no mention of "beta release" or "release candidate". I highly suspect that you will see that you are indeed still running the beta release or release candidate rather than the final release.

If that's the case, try downloading and installing the final release of Composer 1.1.2, following the instructions at www.notation.com\redownload.htm.

After you have successfully downloaded and installed the final release of 1.1.2, you should use Windows Explore to copy files from the \Program Files\MidiNotate Beta\Songs directory to the \Program Files\MidiNotate\Songs directory.

NOTE: the \Program Files\MidiNotate\Songs directory will still have files left over from Composer 1.0.9. If you have same-named files in both \Program Files\MidiNotate\Songs directory and \Program Files\MidiNotate Beta\Songs, then when you do the copy, Windows Explore will ask you which song to keep. You should keep the version you most recently edited, which is probably the copy in the beta Songs directory; but only you will know. You can use Windows Explore to look at the date\time of the same-name files if you're not sure.

Cheers
-- Mark

M G Jacobs (mgj32) 08-28-2005 05:54 PM

Hi Mark, quote: Composer 1.

Hi Mark,

quote: Composer 1.1 will install itself by default in \Program Files\MidiNotate, not \Program Files\MidiNotate Beta.

This is what I thought would happen, but it installed in the Midinotate Beta directory. I checked again. The only reference is 1.12, no mention of RC or beta.

The composer.exe in the Prog Files\MidiNotate directory still opens 1.09.

The only thing I can think of is that I have used only the betas and release candidates since about beta 2, and the installation program looked at the frequency of use, or something. (The only problem I can think of, now, to just leaving things as they are, is whether updates, which would look for MN Composer, I would think, would install in MN Beta.)

In any case, I'm still left with the original questions. Shall I leave 1.12 installed in the MN Beta directory, and if so which of the three entries can I safely delete, using add/remove programs.

all best,
mgj

M G Jacobs (mgj32) 08-28-2005 06:00 PM

P.S. to the above. I still

P.S. to the above.

I still have the installation file I downloaded for 1.12 on the desk top if it's not okay to delete 1.09 and leave 1.12 in the MN beta directory.
But I'd need to know how to get it to change the directory it installs in to Prog Files\MN.
mgj

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-28-2005 07:34 PM

Hello M.G., I think I know

Hello M.G.,

I think I know what the problem is. It's related to the fact that I made a special pre-release of Composer 1.1.2 to you. (Gracie was the only other beta tester that got this pre-release.)

I'm pretty sure you can solve this problem by uninstalling Composer 1.1.2 and then re-install it.

If that doesn't work, please let me know.

Cheers
-- Mark

Clyde (clyde) 08-29-2005 01:08 AM

Hi Mark, The problem with 7

Hi Mark,
The problem with 7 days expiry period seems to have gone away after you reset my account. I have now been able to load 1.12 and look forward to using it.

with thanks ... Clyde

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-29-2005 01:20 AM

Hello Clyde, Yes, this 7-da

Hello Clyde,

Yes, this 7-day download expiration problem at Order1.Net has now been fixed for all customers who have previously purchased MidiNotate Composer or Musician.

Thanks for your report back.

Cheers
-- Mark

Bernard Ackerman (bernie9) 08-30-2005 11:04 AM

I received my documentation to

I received my documentation to re-load Composer 1.1.( Now using .09)
I downloaded to Composer folder in my pc and it said I already had a version there. Then a choice of overwriting or erasing old version snd installing new ver to save old work. I canc setup.

Do I install to different location ,or uninstall .09 and reinstall ?

David Jacklin (dj) 08-30-2005 08:37 PM

Hi, Bernard: Just go to C:\

Hi, Bernard:

Just go to C:\Program Files\Midinotate\Composer (before installing, and copy the Songs and Recover folders to another name. Do your install with the new version of Composer and let it overwrite the old stuff, then copy or move the contents of the Songs and Recover folders back to the original ones.

If you don't have any songs in the Songs or Recover folders you need to worry about, then just go ahead and install over top of the old Composer.

That's what I just did and it works fine.

David

Bernard Ackerman (bernie9) 08-31-2005 04:03 PM

Thank you David. I moved the r

Thank you David. I moved the recover folder contents, but they copied fine even with the overwrite. I appreciate your help

Bernie