Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   increase main volume level at play start (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2829)

TheDutchjewel 09-28-2009 06:13 PM

increase main volume level at play start

1 Attachment(s)
Some MIDI-files increase or decrease the volume level of my MIDI-organ right after pressing the play button. The main volume level of my MIDI-organ changes between 0-60, and for the channels between 0-32. The default main value is 20 and for the channels 32. If I play a normal “96” volume level MIDI file it changes the channel volume to 25. No problem so far.

But some MIDI-files decrease the channel volume level to 1. I can fix this by using the GraphOverNotes palette > Volume function.

But some other MIDI-files increase the main volume level to 45 which results in a too loud noise from the boxes and a too loud sound. See the attached file. Can this also be fixed by Composer?

Sherry C 09-28-2009 10:10 PM

Re: increase main volume level at play start

Howdy,

You can graph any of the MIDI parameters (eg. volume, pan, etc.) using the Graph Over Notes tab, and either drawing the graph you want, selecting a staff graph and using "Shift + down/up arrow" to shift a graph to a lower or higher level (very useful if there are changes you want to preserve, but want an overall higher or lower level), or use the "96" button to set a fixed level for the entire staff.

That said, you may also need to look at other controllers than just the volume. There's also note velocity, which can change the loudness of notes, as well as other controllers (eg. "Expression") which can affect the sound.

For instance, in this particular file, the volume level for all the staves is set at 96, so that doesn't appear to explain the volume increase you're hearing. However, using Graph Over Notes, you can see which controllers are used in the file. Just click on the "Ctl" button that has the red question mark (?) on it. Any controller that is used in the file will have an asterisk (*) beside it. You can then click that controller to see the graph of that controller in the file. Controller 11-Expression is used in this file, and kicks in at measure 12. Could this explain the volume increase that you're hearing?

Sometimes files are sequenced/created with specific playback devices in mind. Thus, you may see (and hear) controllers used in files that sound great on some devices but horrendous on others. One example is Mod wheel. Garritan library instruments use Mod Wheel to control performance dynamics, and so help the performance to sound really good. Conversely, if I take one of my files that I've tweaked for GPO, and then use my regular MIDI device to play the file, it sounds horrendously wobbly .... until I set all the staves' Mod Wheels back to zero :)

So give it a shot, and see what controllers affect playback on your device. Composer makes it pretty easy to see this quickly, and fix it where needed :)

ttfn,
Sherry

TheDutchjewel 09-29-2009 03:21 PM

In this particular file the main volume increases already at the first tick/beat of the score.

This file uses three controllers: volume, pan and expression. Changing the volume controller value only changes the channel volume level, not the main one. Erasing the expression line or changing the pan value doesn't effect the volume level. So it seems to me that I can't solve this problem with Composer.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Sherry C 09-29-2009 03:53 PM

Howdy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDutchjewel (Post 12812)
In this particular file the main volume increases already at the first tick/beat of the score.

This file uses three controllers: volume, pan and expression. Changing the volume controller value only changes the channel volume level, not the main one. Erasing the expression line or changing the pan value doesn't effect the volume level.

The reason that I recommended checking the Expression controller is that sometimes various devices will have "custom" settings that map a particular controller to do something other than it's General MIDI standard function. For example, some devices will use one controller (eg. Mod wheel) to control loudness, while others use the same controller to add vibrato. I wasn't sure if your MIDI organ might be one such device that was mapping "Expression" to volume. Since you mentioned that the volume reading happens from the very beginning, then that rules out the Expression graph anyway.

Composer offers a lot of flexibility for editing each staff volume, but does not have a "conductor's volume" setting. This is the first time someone has asked about it :) I can understand where that would be very handy, if you're trying to work up files for a single device and you don't want to fiddle with a volume knob (or perhaps don't have one).

Using another MIDI tool that I have, I see that the file you attached here has a "conductor's volume" (ie main volume setting) of 96. This is a separate setting from each staff's individual volume setting. Do I understand correctly that this file causes your MIDI organ to "boom" out at a setting of 45 for your organ? If so, can you please attach an example file for one that keeps your setting at 20, and/or one that causes it to go to 1, so that I can compare them?

Thanks!
Sherry

TheDutchjewel 09-29-2009 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 12813)
Do I understand correctly that this file causes your MIDI organ to "boom" out at a setting of 45 for your organ?

Right. I've attached a file which doesn't change the main volume level.

Sherry C 09-29-2009 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Howdy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDutchjewel (Post 12814)
Right. I've attached a file which doesn't change the main volume level.

Well, my "conductor's volume" hypothesis just got shot down - both files have a "Conductor's volume" of 96.

However, I did notice one difference between the two - the file that changes the volume of your MIDI organ has a "MIDI mode" setting of "GS." The file that does not change your MIDI organ volume has no such setting. I've used this tool (GNMidi, available for free trial and purchase at http://www.gnmidi.com/) to reset the file to "GM" (General MIDI). Please try out the attached file and see if it now plays at a less than maxed out volume.

Attachment 69

Do let me know if that works or not. I'd be interested to know, as I've never had this issue come up before.

ttfn,
Sherry

TheDutchjewel 09-29-2009 05:26 PM

The original file increases the main volume level to 45, the reset one to 51. So this makes the problem only bigger. ;)

I tried also the free midivol, midi2gm and midreset programs, but without luck.

Sherry C 09-29-2009 05:47 PM

Howdy,

Well so much for my hypotheses :rolleyes:

You may want to try contacting the person who created these files (it looks like the same person created the entire series?) and ask if there was a particular reason for the different "mode" assignments, and what tool(s) they use for adjusting the files. They might be able to offer you some insight.

ttfn,
Sherry

TheDutchjewel 09-30-2009 10:52 AM

I got the file a long time ago from the SCPOP Archive of the SCPOP (Sound Canvas Pipe Organ Project) site. The SCPOP project is now unsupported. Anyway there are three versions of this file: a SCPOP 55, 98 and 2K version. The difference between them is that the 55 version is suited for modules having the SC-55 synth engine, and the other two for the SC-88 and the SC-8850 synth engine.

It’s the 55 version file that has the volume level problem. But there are other 55 version files on that site which does not cause this problem. So I downloaded the SCPOP program with the free registration files, but as far as I can see this program cannot be used to edit or change MIDI-files. Till I find a solution for this volume level problem, I copy this file apart. No big deal, but it still fascinates me.

Thank you for your time and help so far, Sherry C. :)

dj 09-30-2009 10:54 AM

Hi, guys:

Both files have extensive SysEx banks which would contain data specific to the virtual organ being used. I think it's likely that the SysEx includes some volume resetting that only the particular virtual organ recognizes.

There are a couple of CC expression and volume events in each file, but I think you've seen those already.

David

P.S. I see now that they were created for the SCPOP. Sound Canvas System Exclusive is pretty well documented, so you might be able to figure out what's happening with it. You'll need a program that lets you view System Exclusive data directly.

TheDutchjewel 10-05-2009 06:47 AM

I got rid of the volume problem after opening/importing the MIDI file in a MIDI sequencer and exporting it (unchanged) as a MIDI file. :)

I tried it with different freeware MIDI sequencers like Jazz++, MU.LAB Free Version, Music Studio Producer, Quartz AudioMaster Freeware and QWS.