Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Share news about music (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2585)
-   -   Ridiculously inexpensive MIDI-to-USB cable (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3731)

Sherry C 06-04-2011 10:29 PM

Ridiculously inexpensive MIDI-to-USB cable

Hi folks,

While doing a bit of shopping on Amazon, I came across a ridiculously inexpensive cable for MIDI-to-USB connectivity. It has pretty good reviews (like all these cables, it is not guaranteed to work on all equipment, but the reviews looked pretty good for most equipment) and the thing only costs $4.37 usd You can find it by clicking here. There's another one that's a bit different, though same price here. (I am not making money off this, but just found a good deal, and often have musician friends who ask if I can recommend an inexpensive interface.)

Enjoy!
Sherry

Practice Amp 09-20-2011 04:17 AM

Re: Ridiculously inexpensive MIDI-to-USB cable

I spoke to a fellow in a music shop recently and he told me they are rubbish, when pressed he couldn't say but my inclination is to stay away if half serious.

Sherry C 02-01-2012 10:56 PM

Hi friends,

Folks often ask for recommendations for MIDI/USB interfaces. These are the MIDI In and MIDI Out going to a USB plug, which are handy if you have an older keyboard that is still working fine. I gave a link for a really inexpensive one below, which may or may not work for you.

Another one that seems to be fairly robust and not horrendously expensive is the E-Mu Xmidi 1x1 v3. At around $30, it's on the less expensive side of interfaces, and all the reviews that I've seen about it are solid. You can find it at places like Musicians Friend (www.musiciansfriend.com), Music 123 (www.music123.com), Amazon (www.amazon.com) and other locations I'm sure.

Again, I don't make any money off of these items, I just try to help folks find what they need :)

ttfn,
Sherry

flyingtadpole 02-08-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 16630)
Hi friends,

Folks often ask for recommendations for MIDI/USB interfaces. These are the MIDI In and MIDI Out going to a USB plug, which are handy if you have an older keyboard that is still working fine. I gave a link for a really inexpensive one below, which may or may not work for you.

Just to add: I've been using one of the ridiculously cheap supposedly crappy junk MIDI-USB links for years now, when I'm away from home base (where nothing is USB, its all proper/oldfashioned MIDI-in-out plugs unless I'm cheating on the office computer in which case I have to use it). Never had a hiccup. Equipment when using it: laptop (Acer Travelmate, about 7 years old, running XP), one or other Medeli midi keyboards, or my ancient Yamaha PSR-310. At $4 to $5 for a unit, what's to lose? Those units appear identical to the one I've got, which cost about $20 five years ago.