Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Notation Composer with GPO 4? (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3719)

wolf2272 05-24-2011 04:32 AM

Notation Composer with GPO 4?

Hello everyone! I've just upgraded to GPO 4, but I'm having some trouble to make it work with Notation like the older Garritan did.

Could somebody help me? I need to know what to do to get these two programs working altogether. Maybe you could tell me of a tutorial anywhere out there?

Thank you so much!

Sherry C 05-24-2011 02:35 PM

Re: Notation Composer with GPO 4?

Hi,

Congratulations on getting the new Aria player - I have it also, and find it to be much easier to work with than the older Kontakt versions of the Garritan player.

However, as you've noted, it is no longer it's own "MIDI device." Fortunately the solution is pretty easy. You just need a set of "virtual" MIDI cables. Probably one of the easiest and most versatile (and free!) is LoopBe, available at http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html Unless you use more than 16 instruments at a time, that's all you'll need. (There are other free virtual MIDI cables, and the LoopBe ones are the most trouble-free that I've come across, but the free version is a single "cable". If you need more and want them free, you may want to explore other options such as those listed here.)

Install the LoopBe "cable", then run Notation Composer. You'll see it show up in your list of MIDI Devices. Run Aria, select "Tools", then "Preferences", and you'll see it as an option there - just check the box.

Enjoy :)

ttfn,
Sherry

wolf2272 05-31-2011 11:22 PM

Well, thank you very much for that help! Now I only have another doubt: what can I do to assign each instrument loaded on the ARIA player to each staff in Composer? By changing each one's channel?

Sherry C 06-01-2011 12:04 AM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf2272 (Post 15909)
what can I do to assign each instrument loaded on the ARIA player to each staff in Composer? By changing each one's channel?

Yes - that part works the same as the old GPO Kontakt Player assignments.

There's also a discussion of the new Aria Player at this other thread, which you may want to look at as well.

I'd love to hear what you're coming up with using Composer and Aria - do keep us posted!

ttfn,
Sherry

wolf2272 06-04-2011 05:24 AM

Hello!
I really wish to say thank you!

I was finally able to get GPO and Notation working together!

It is now only matter of adjusting the details (I'm getting REALLY low volume and the "Ambience" engine is not working), but, thanks for that LoopBe!
And for that other thread, it was very helpful!

Sherry C 06-04-2011 12:53 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf2272 (Post 15919)
I really wish to say thank you!

I was finally able to get GPO and Notation working together!

You're very welcome, and that's great that things are coming together!
Quote:

It is now only matter of adjusting the details (I'm getting REALLY low volume and the "Ambience" engine is not working)
The new Aria engine is a bit "smarter" in that it does assign a default Mod Wheel setting on loading an instrument, so that you don't get total silence (like one did with the older Kontakt player if one forgot to set a Mod Wheel value!) However, you might want to play around with entering a Mod Wheel value in each staff in Notation Composer as a start, so that you'll at least get a decent sound from each instrument.

1. Graph Over Notes
2. Click the Staff Select button for the first staff
3. Click the "Ctl" button that has the red "?" on it, and select "Mod wheel" in the list. Click Ok.
4. Now click the "96" palette toolbar button, and enter a value. Click ok.
5. Click the next staff's Staff Select button.
6. Click the "96" button and enter a value. Click Ok.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for any remaining staves.

Of course later you can use the Graph Over Notes graphing tools to draw a more dynamic Mod Wheel curve over the instruments to make better use of the instrument dynamics that are a large part of the Garritan Libraries. If you want a really nice performance, then it's definitely worth experimenting with this, as well as the other MIDI controllers that are used for various performance nuances such as the automatic variability controllers CC 22 and CC 23, which give the performance a more "humanized" touch.

Have fun!
Sherry

herbert 06-05-2011 12:51 AM

Hi wolf2272,

To get ambiance, you need to turn up the SEND knob for each instrument in the Aria Player.

Low sound level could be caused by not setting cc1 in Composer. Composer will always override cc1 settings as set in the Aria Player. When you start off setting up your instruments in Composer, all sustained instruments of GPO4 must have cc1 set in Composer. A good start value is 8000 or a bit higher. This should be one of the first steps of setting up your score.

Best wishes,

Herbert

wolf2272 06-09-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 15920)
However, you might want to play around with entering a Mod Wheel value in each staff in Notation Composer as a start, so that you'll at least get a decent sound from each instrument.

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbert (Post 15925)
To get ambiance, you need to turn up the SEND knob for each instrument in the Aria Player.

Hi! I’m now being able to use GPO4 with Notation as I did before (with the normal changes).
Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Robert