Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   General music tips and questions (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2848)
-   -   My second Band-in-a-Box song. (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=34271)

ronaldstone 03-21-2018 12:30 AM

My second Band-in-a-Box song.

1 Attachment(s)
After purchasing the complete plugin of Band-in-a-Box, here's a 2nd song (Almost Jamaica) I wanted to experiment with.

I was interested in hearing and seeing how close it would come, in terms of how much fun it would be to play and listen to, since I have played this song for several years. This was so much fun exploring the Latin and Reggae options that are in BIAB. Would they fit and how close would they be to what I wanted to hear.

Enclosed is 1 file with 5 takes that I think are wonderful. I'm not sure if I should be putting on this site 1 file with 5 takes or 5 files with 1 take.

I didn't spend time to really tweak the way I would want to for a more professional sound but it's good enough for anyone to get an idea of what can be done. For example the tracks could be mixed better, endings better, etc etc.

I play the right hand (melody) and left hand piano part.

Not much more to say other than try to keep your feet still!

dj 03-21-2018 12:19 PM

Re: My second Band-in-a-Box song.

Hi, Ronald:

Sunny and breezy for the first day of spring! Sandals and shorts are just not compatible with the ice and snow outside my door!

Do you know, it has never occurred to me to do different versions of a piece by Part selection? A very useful tool that has been under my nose all this time.

I definitely prefer the Marimba version. :)

Thanks for sharing.

David

Sherry C 03-21-2018 01:13 PM

Hi guys,

Oh yeah, that's fun! I'm in the same boat as David, though - it's cold and there's still snow and ice, but at least I can feel warm inside :)

Actually posting the one file with all the takes shows the benefits a little better of being able to compare the different takes using the "Sel" button or the Parts drop list (we tried to make it flexible).

By having all the generated staves in the same file, you can easily compare the "takes", or mix and match the instruments into an entirely new arrangement by using the Parts feature (eg. create a new Part and select the different instrument staves you want to include in it. (see the Band in a Box tutorial video for some tips on that.)

And sorry - I couldn't keep my feet (nor my head) still while listening :)

Great work!

ttfn,
Sherry

rrayner 03-21-2018 01:37 PM

Fascinating, Ronald! As far as I'm concerned, posting here is very informative.

Ralph Rayner

ronaldstone 03-21-2018 02:33 PM

I didn't even focus on the mixing and matching till you brought it up. That opens up a whole new door with endless possibilities! How neat. Thanks for the comment.