Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Notation Software Without Measures or Time Signatures (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=30341)

Decrepit Goose 07-25-2013 12:46 AM

Notation Software Without Measures or Time Signatures

I've been trying to find notation software that allows you to compose music with no measures or time signatures. I don't just mean having them invisible, I mean without their functions at all.

So far, I haven't been able to find anything. It seems like several people ask about it on the Musescore forum, but that's about what I've seen on this and there wasn't any software mentioned that had this option.

I'd just do this by hand, but that would be really difficult for me.

So, if anyone's heard of any software that allows this, I'd really appreciate a suggestion!

Sherry C 07-26-2013 12:56 PM

Re: Notation Software Without Measures or Time Signatures

Hi,

Quote:

I've been trying to find notation software that allows you to compose music with no measures or time signatures. I don't just mean having them invisible, I mean without their functions at all.
I don't know of any notation software that does this exactly. All the software that I know of has a playback feature, and as such, requires some type of timing. In other words, if you're dealing with a computer, it wants to know when to start and when to stop playing a note :) The medium of sheet music is such that measure lines and time signatures give the live musician some sense of direction when trying to play the music, especially if they've never heard the song before. Ergo, all the notation software that I know of (including our own Notation Composer)

That said, you can emulate the look of no barlines or meter on the score. Plain chant music tends to be like this, as does some renaissance era music. I created a template and instructions previously for this style at this other thread (click here).

If this is not what you're looking for, perhaps a bit more explanation will help us understand better.

ttfn,
Sherry

Decrepit Goose 09-09-2013 08:23 PM

Re: Notation Software Without Measures or Time Signatures

I'm really sorry for the late response; I really want this information! (I got carried away waiting for the maintenance to end.)

I hope this isn't considered a dead thread.

As for the requirements of a computer, I'm not a professional at all but I don't see why this would be complicated: each note having a relative temporal value. These values changing proportionately by raising or lowering the tempo.

I totally understand what you mean about the barlines, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason I never find what I'm looking for. That does give me a nice idea, though; searching for software without an emphasis on human performance.

As far as composing goes, just composing, barlines are simply an impediment (at least to me). I read that Erik Satie used no barlines; he might be a good example of it's absence.

In other words, I don't see why a computer can't leave these out and still be able to playback. In fact, I guess you hit the bull's eye; they have the performers in mind. I just want to compose; I don't need to consider a performer.