Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   General music tips and questions (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2848)
-   -   Adjusting Lines (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3189)

rrayner 06-10-2010 02:10 PM

Adjusting Lines

1 Attachment(s)
The attached score is an example for a question I have. I know how to go into Layout and move lines up and down, but I have not been able to find a way to adjust all lines proportionally. In this example, I've added Free Text for the Composers, which moves the top line down a bit (in Page View). I'd like to close up the space between the title and the first line, which I can do. This leaves a large space between the first line and the second. Moving the second line leaves a larger space between the second and the third lines, etc.

Is there a way to move all lines proportionally? This would also address the problem introduced by added slurs, which open up the white space between lines. Adding slurs sometimes forces the score into two pages, which isn't always desirable, and in some cases, not necessary.

So, to rephrase, if I move the first line upward, is there a way to quickly move the remaining lines upward proportionally, without moving each line individually?

Ralph

Sherry C 06-10-2010 02:40 PM

Re: Adjusting Lines

Howdy Ralph,

I think you're looking for "Vertical spacing" options.
There are a couple of things you can do.

One is in Layout/Page Layout. There is a long "spring" on the far left, with a handle at the bottom. You can "grab" this "handle" with your mouse, and move it up or down, and everything shifts vertically in proportion. This is for multi-staff systems.

Second, (and perhaps what helps you better here) for default vertical spacing, you can find it at Format/Font Size and Spacing, and the lower "Vertical Spacing" options.

If the above don't answer the issue, just holler back :)

ttfn,
Sherry

rrayner 06-11-2010 07:27 PM

Hi Sherry,

Thanks, as always. You explain things well.

I'm guessing that I have to have multiple pages to see the "spring", as it doesn't show up when I do a Layout/Page Layout. All of the individual system's handles show, but no spring. I tried a score with multiple pages and the spring showed up.

I also tried changing the Vertical Spacing options from the default of 6 to 4 and I couldn't see a difference. I probably should have used an object (like a small ruler) to see the difference, but I don't have one with me this week. I'll try again when we get home.

Ralph

rrayner 06-12-2010 02:24 AM

Sherry replied:

Hi Ralph,

For the "spring", it won't show up in this file as it is a single-staff-per-system file. The spring is for multi-staff systems.

Perhaps rather than moving the staves closer to the title, you can move the Title down, thus only moving one item, and preserving the relative spacing between the staves?

ttfn,
Sherry