Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Two problems while testing (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2730)

Crochetty 08-16-2009 09:37 PM

Two problems while testing

I am trialling Notation Composer and am really keen for it to work well so that I can make the decidion to purchase. Most of the features that I require seem to perform rather well. There are a few glitches but I am giving Notation the benefit of the doubt here and assuming that some (at least) are due to the variable quality of midi files - for example, misnaming instruments or even putting the composers name and details down in the spaces reserved for instrument names.
There are two more problems, the first being irritating but I will tolerate it if I must: This is an odd tendency to show a key signature at the beginning of each stave in the usual way but then follow it with "natural" symbols followed by the necessary sharps or flats all the way through the piece as a way of reinstating the original key signature. Can this be rectified - or avoided when making sheet music from midis?
The most serious problem is a real disappointment: Why does composer throw randon notes into the bar in which I am working on an existing arrangement - and even into the next (empty) bar. And why, when I select all the right buttons to start a new bar with a dotted minim, does it it insist on inserting an undotted minim followed by two semiquavers - plus an additional note that I didn't want (not even the same pitch) and all linked by slurs which have to be deleted before the notes can be corrected. Then, when I am correcting those notes it starts inserting random notes into the next bar? If this problem cannot be avoided then Composer is not worth buying as all the other features that work reasonably well are available in Musician.
I am using a one year old laptop with loads of spare power and memory and running Vista with all the relevant updates.
Please can somone advise me how to overcome the problems, especially the last one.

Crochetty.

Sherry C 08-17-2009 10:45 AM

Re: Two problems while testing

Howdy,

Thanks for trying out Notation Composer! I'm glad that for the most part Composer has initially met your needs. I think we can clear up the other issues as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crochetty (Post 11980)
There are a few glitches but I am giving Notation the benefit of the doubt here and assuming that some (at least) are due to the variable quality of midi files - for example, misnaming instruments or even putting the composers name and details down in the spaces reserved for instrument names.

When any Notation product opens a MIDI file, it will show any staff names (which are track names in the original MIDI file) that were assigned when the file was created. Some folks use the MIDI instrument name, some folks enter the credits in the track/staff names, and others just enter numbers. You can easily and quickly rename all those staves to anything you want by using Staff/Setup, then clicking in the Staff Name or Staff Abbreviation field and typing in the name(s) you want to use.

Quote:

There are two more problems, the first being irritating but I will tolerate it if I must: This is an odd tendency to show a key signature at the beginning of each stave in the usual way but then follow it with "natural" symbols followed by the necessary sharps or flats all the way through the piece as a way of reinstating the original key signature. Can this be rectified - or avoided when making sheet music from midis?

This issue will depend partly on the file. For instance, jazz pieces especially tend to have a lot of accidentals anyway, to the point that it can be difficult for Composer (or even some of us humans :)) to properly determine the key signature. Another case that sometimes happens is that there may be a key change within the piece that Composer doesn't "catch", and you'll see a similar situation. In any case you can double-click the signature to change it. If you'd like to post the .mid file you started with, I'd be glad to take a look at it. Please just be sure to point me to the specific measure(s) you're wondering about.

Quote:

The most serious problem is a real disappointment: Why does composer throw randon notes into the bar in which I am working on an existing arrangement - and even into the next (empty) bar. And why, when I select all the right buttons to start a new bar with a dotted minim, does it it insist on inserting an undotted minim followed by two semiquavers - plus an additional note that I didn't want (not even the same pitch) and all linked by slurs which have to be deleted before the notes can be corrected. Then, when I am correcting those notes it starts inserting random notes into the next bar?

Which method are you using to enter notes? (eg. mouse point and click, Step Time Recording, Real Time Recording) Each method is different, and may have a different solution to the problem you're seeing. If you can give me some specific steps that show the problem, I'll be better able to help with the solution. If it's an existing file that you're working with, please include that in an attachment.

ttfn,
Sherry

Crochetty 08-18-2009 06:32 AM

Many thanks for your prompt and detailed reply. Will have another session with Notation Composer very soon and will send you details plus files as suggested.

Kind regards

Crochetty

Crochetty 08-20-2009 10:30 AM

Thanks again to Sherry for quick and detailed responses to my queries both here and by email. I think I owe Notation an apology for jumping in with problems a bit too hastily. I have now ordered Composer and had a quick look at some of the 600+ page users manual - and I can see that the earlier problems may have been my fault due to confusion about how the software works.
Am looking forward to ordering the users manual in book form after my holiday as I find it much easier than having to click from screen to screen while learning a new prog.
In fact it is only the composing aspect of the programme that I need to learn. Those aspects that are included in Notation Musician (including merging or deleting staves, changing key signatures) seemed to me to be almost intuitive and required minimal use of the help files.
I cannot help feeling that working with Composer is going to be fun.

Crochetty.

Sherry C 08-20-2009 11:56 AM

Howdy,

Thanks for the feedback here! We really do appreciate hearing from folks about what aspects of the software you find easy to use, or difficult, or whatever. One of my jobs is to take that feedback and turn it into real changes we can make to the software to make it as easy to use as possible. So with that in mind, you should never feel bad about asking about something, or making suggestions. We obviously can't incorporate everything that everyone wants, but we do try to improve the software with each release. :)

We certainly hope you have fun using Composer - it's one of our stated goals ;)

ttfn,
Sherry